SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anitra_gw

My first bin: is 30 gallons large enuf?

anitra
16 years ago

Our 51-person apartment building has a small organic garden and a couple of worm bins. We always have more garbage than the worms can eat. On a trip to Goodwill scouting for more worm bins, I found two 30-gallon plastic trash cans for $2 each, and decided it was time to try a "regular" compost pile.

Yesterday I filled the first can about half full with food waste, garden waste, coffee grounds, shredded cardboard and shredded newspaper, plus a little bit of commercial compost. I wet it down a little. It didn't seem to have heated up any today. I added more "green" material and mixed it all up good, adding water until it had about the moisture level of my worm bin. I even added a couple of handfuls of compost from my worm bin, as an "inoculant." It looked to me like it has about one part "greens" to two part "browns" (counting coffee grounds as a "green").

Most of the composting directions I read, though, talk about 3'x3'x3' being the minimum size for a compost pile to get "hot." The trash can is about 20 inches wide and three feet tall. Can I really expect it to get hot, even after I fill it to the top?

After the last two months of worrying that my much smaller worm bin was going to heat up, I now have a much larger trash bin that I'm afraid *won't* heat up. :)

Comments (14)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!