SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
newfee_bullett

18 H.P briggs and stratton engine ? dead cylinder help please

newfee_bullett
16 years ago

Hi guys first post here I've been trying to figure out what's up with one of the 2 cylinders on the 18 hp briggs and stratton engine I have..it's a twin cylinder model number is 422447. I've noticed a serious lack of power when under load to the poin that it's stalling out...I have it narrowed down to what I think to be a dead cylinder. I tried the pull a plug wire while it's running to see if it still runs and while the one side will keep running with a slight drop in rpms the other side kills the engine. I've checked the plugs they are fine, and I have fire comming from the possible dead side. I've looked at the valves to be sure that they were moving and that seems to be fine but I'm not sure how to check the clearences. I did take the valve cover off to check the valves movement and when I put it back on and fired it up it seemed to be fixed for about 30 secs then I'm back to where I was. Right now I have the carb off and was toying with the adjustable or "non adjustable jet as it's called" thinking that might help but either I wasn't getting the right setting or it's not the problem. Any tips or links to break down diagrams would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Comments (23)

Sponsored
More Discussions