SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
berninicaco3

[newbie] is rose color affected by soil comp...?

berninicaco3
9 years ago

I'm horticulturally illiterate so forgive the ignorant question:

I'm aware that, as the only example I know, rhododendrons have different color flowers depending on the pH of the soil.

I ask because, partially due to nostalgia of the miniature roses we had when I was a kid, I was lingering over some miniatures the local garden center has and will be buying 2-3.
They have one variety, 'beauty secret,' and some of them are a true pink whereas others are definitely more a red.

Is this simply variation in their genetics? The more pink plant, will always flower with that shade of pink; the more red 'beauty secret' will always be more red?

Or can the color be affected by the soil, and the red plant could be persuaded to flower more pink or vice versa?

Some secondary questions that don't merit their own threads:

I already have some miracle gro tomato and vegetable fertilizer. Compared to the rose-specific, it has more calcium and less nitrogen (I think-- let me double check). Any reason it won't work on roses?

Second, any that you'd particularly recommend from this list of what's available at the local garden center? This is more a taste question, but if one is harder to take care of maybe I'll steer clear. I'm having trouble deciding! :)

33 Rose - Miniature Baby Elizabeth
16 Rose - Miniature Beauty Secret
39 Rose - Miniature Cracker Rose Pink
46 Rose - Miniature Louis Philippe
37 Rose - Miniature Nancy Hall
23 Rose - Miniature Nu Gold
8 Rose - Miniature Real Pink
8 Rose - Miniature Royal Ruby
12 Rose - Miniature Snow Bride
6 Rose - Miniature Starina (Orange)

Comments (7)