SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
franknjim

A new addiction has begun

franknjim
12 years ago

Hi, I am Frank. I am a hostaholic who is diving into the world of AV's. I remember seeing the AV's of old that were always pink or purple. I was blown away to see what they look like today. I really enjoy propagating hostas, annuals and perennials and when I read how easy it is to propagate AV's I knew I had to do it. Being that it is the middle of Winter it wasn't all that easy to find what I needed to get started when it comes to the greenery. I did find one grower that offers winter shipping of plants and leaves. Lyndon Lyon. I am starting out with eighteen leaves. Thirty dollars shipping but I don't want to wait. Seventeen Standards and one Russian.

Apache Brave

{{gwi:360735}}
Blue Mink

{{gwi:360736}}
Bob Serbin

{{gwi:360737}}
Buffalo Hunt

{{gwi:360738}}
Caribbean Blue

{{gwi:360739}}
Cosmic Art

{{gwi:360740}}
Halo's Aglitter

{{gwi:360741}}
Home Fires

{{gwi:360742}}
Jazzy Jewel

{{gwi:360743}}
Lacy Lass

{{gwi:360744}}
Lyon's Midnight Waves

{{gwi:360746}}
Lyon's Party Dress

{{gwi:360748}}
Lyon's Spectacular

{{gwi:360749}}
Marina

{{gwi:360751}}
Optical Illusion

{{gwi:360752}}
Pink Duchess

{{gwi:360753}}
Blue Tapestry

{{gwi:360754}}
Russian:

Mystic Mermaid

{{gwi:360755}}

I have been reading as much as possible online all over the place as to the methods and care. I already had lots of peat and perlite so I went out and bought a bag of vermiculite today. I have new 1020 trays, 72 cell inserts and domes. I ordered thirty 2 1/2", thirty 3" and thirty 4" pots to get me started. I am thinking to eventually go over to either semi hydro or wicking down the road. I have a large three level T5 lighted seedling cart plus seventeen dual lamp shoplights since I do a bit of seed starting and will also be doing some hosta seed starting next winter after I start hybridizing hostas this year.

Once I get this rolling I think I want to get into Chimeras. I really liked the look of them. They would be more of a challenge to propagate since they can't be done with leaf cuttings. I am also looking forward to trading with others. I do a lot of that with hostas already but it will be easier with AV's since you don't have to go out and dig up the yard.

I still need to pick up a couple of the right fertilizers. One to grow and one to show. I will be getting a couple reference books as well. I can hardly wait to have some of those gorgeous huge plants. The variegated leaves are awesome.

Can you tell that I am excited?

Comments (12)