SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
treeguy123

What is the best male/cottonless Eastern Cottonwood cultivar?

treeguy123
17 years ago

What is the Best male/cottonless Eastern Cottonwood cultivar that you can order on the internet for a reasonable price under the $30 range or so? I like cottonwoods that spread and grow wide more than ones that grow narrow. Also I would like one that would likely live pretty long around 60 to 70 years + (which might be stretching it) and usually will Not die after 20 to 30 years like many can. These criteria might be pretty hard to match but what male cultivar would be the closest to my likings and where can you order them.

I was going to order the widely available Populus deltoides 'Siouxland' but I've read they are becoming less popular because it does appear to be susceptible to cankers and other diseases. I know most cottonwoods are susceptible to cankers and other diseases but is there a cultivar that is more resistant to diseases than 'Siouxland' or am I going to have to order 'Siouxland'?

These are several cultivars that I have found on various sites which most are trees you can't order etc. and you have to drive to the nursery to pick the tree up, and I canÂt find Any information on most of these (there might be more cultivars):

Populus deltoides 'Siouxland'

Populus deltoides ÂNoreasterÂ

Populus deltoides ÂSchictelÂ

Populus deltoides 'Dvina'

Populus deltoides 'Walker'

Populus deltoides 'Platte'

Populus deltoides 'Ohio Red'

Populus deltoides 'Lydick'

Populus deltoides 'NE-355'

Populus deltoides 'Noreaster'

Populus deltoides 'Colmar'

Populus deltoides 'Mighty Moe'

Thanks for any help you might could possibly give.

Comments (12)