SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jporter2_gw

Little black moving specks in AV soil

jporter2
17 years ago

Hi,

I have just a few African Violets... so not an expert on them at all. Two are flowering beautifully and seem quite healthy, and the third is a relatively young plant which has yet to flower (it was propogated from one of my mother's AVs). The problem is with the newer AV. It looks healthy enough, seems perfectly happy... but when I lift up the potted plant out of its saucer to water it in the sink, in the bottom of the saucer, with the small bits of soil left there... there seems to be some sort of bug. I can't find anything on the web or postings that makes me certain of what I am dealing with. They are almost microscopic things - they look mostly like specks of dirt - but without fail they are moving. They are black or brown, straight, and longer than wide. Almost the shape of a grain of rice, but dark and very, very small. I would not notice them at all if they were not moving. There are usually only a few that I see, and whatever they are, it (so far!) doesn't seem to be harming the plant. I noticed them first a few months ago but in the process of moving and settling into a new house, had forgotten to look into it. I just watered the plants again yesterday and was reminded to deal with it. So far I've followed some of the advice for diagnosing thrips, mites, and root nematodes, but have not found any damage to the leaves or stems, and have not yet gotten to searching the roots. I also cannot find any evidence of these bugs on the leaves themselves. The leaves are a rich dark green, have the right amount of hair, etc. The only thing I am not sure of, is whether the plant is growing a little too slowly, or that the newest leaves are maybe a bit too close together, etc. They look ok to me, but as I said, I'm not an expert and have spent the day searching the web for answers. Does anyone have any ideas of what this pest might be? (And how to get rid of it, if that is necessary?) I don't want to let it go too much longer, as I want to be able to take care of or dispose of that plant, and see if I'm able to prevent or treat the problem in my other two AVs. Thanks for your help! -- Jill

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz