SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johntommybob

John Deere GT225 PTO switch problems

johntommybob
14 years ago

This is also posted on the My Tractor forum

This may be a little long, but there is a history. I bought my GT225 used with about 60 hours on it (the owner had moved to a condo). He had defeated the RIO by propping up the PTO switch with a collar-like piece of plastic tubing. I did away with that, but I disconnected the wire harness at the RIO switch and put in a copper jumper wire. Its been that way several years now. About two or three years ago the mower deck started to just randomly stop running. I could push down the PTO switch, pull it back up, and it would start back up. But after awhile it would do it again, and it just got worse and worse. By doing some testing I found out the seat switch was bad and I replaced it: problem solved. As I said that was about 2 years ago

Just the other day the mower started to act the same way, only worse this time. At first I thought it was the seat switch again, so to find out I jumper wired around the seat switch, but the mower deck still would stop working, and now, sometimes, pushing the PTO switch in, and pulling it back up, has no effect at all, but drive a few feet and try again and it works.

Lastly, I remembered what the former owner had done, and I propped up the PTO switch in the mow-in-reverse mode, and that stopped the PTO switch from killing power to the mower deck, and I mowed for about thirty minutes with no problem, but as soon as I removed that little plastic collar, from the PTO switch, the mower stopped working.

So I think I may need a new PTO switch, and I can get one for about twenty bucks. My question is could anything else cause this trouble?

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions