SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
notashandyasyou

john deere stx38 pto wont engage

notashandyasyou
13 years ago

hello folks. I inherited a JD STX38 yellow deck (manual transmission) when I bought my house in the country 6 months ago (I'm a former city slicker). this is a long, detailed post, but I figured that would only help - more information = better and easier to figure out what's wrong. it might even make you smile.

after jump starting the STX38 late last fall and getting some gas with fuel stabilizer added to run through it, it started up on the first turn this spring after I replaced the battery. Sweet! It was running fine, cutting fine - I annihilated my field (probably about 2 acres) with it 3 times this spring already.

Today I had an issue: I was cruising around the field, cutting, and I hit a rock - no big deal, this thing is solid. (I don't think the rock was the problem, but...) I also cut some relatively tall, thick grass - 18 inches high maybe, but the STX38 didn't stall out or anything - it cranked right through.

Ten minutes later, with the PTO engaged, suddenly the blades simply stopped, as did the loud sound that tells you that the PTO is cranking. I flipped the PTO off, then on - but when i flipped it on, there was no change in sound - it didn't roar to life. I turned the engine off and on and repeated with the PTO switch - nothing. The engine still ran fine, so I brought her back to the driveway and used my expertise to, well, all I could really do was stare at it - remember, I'm not as handy as you!

So, we have this wealth of information on the internet now, and I spent a few hours looking for solutions. I cleaned out all the grass that was on, under, and around the mower deck. I took apart the ignition/PTO switch case and cleaned the old grass/dust/hay/nests out of there. (I didn't pull any of the electrical wires out of their casings though) I removed the PTO ground bolt (behind the right front tire) and cleaned it with steel wool. I didn't remove the ground wires from the crimp they were in. Still, nothing happens when I flip the PTO switch up, to ON.

Now, one other test: I sat on the tractor with the engine off, but turned the key to "ON", and flipped the PTO switch up. I could hear the PTO mechanism "click," so I guess that's good in a way - it must be getting a signal, right? I read this: (http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tractor/msg060934286991.html) that suggested checking the voltage flowing to the PTO - but I didn't do that because I lack the tools, I have a brand new battery, and the thing had just crapped out mid-run. This led someone I ran it by to think the problem wasn't electrical. He suggested I take apart the mower deck and look at the belts/pulleys - that maybe a belt came loose/off?

I can tell you that during my not-so-expert diagnosis, I did pull the belts a bit, and it definitely didn't look like anything was broken - ie, i could pull the belt and turn the pulleys - nothing unraveled in my hand and came out.

So, sorry for the long post, but I tried to include as many details as possible so that perhaps someone could suggest a next step. Now remember, I'm not as handy as you (remember Fletch, with the ball bearings and the sphitzer valves?) - but I'm capable of following instructions, provided they aren't "remove the PTO assembly and check the gearing," or things like that. please simplify for me! any guidance appreciated

other random info: I removed a mouse nest from under the engine hood. I don't think it's a mouse issue, since the tractor ran fine for 20 minutes before I had the problem today, and I didn't see any wires that were eaten thru.

random question: is there perhaps some sort of safety shear bolt or something under the mower blades, like in a snowblower?

many thanks...

Comments (32)

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022