SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bluederby21

List your Favorite Dozen with a Twist :)

bluederby21
12 years ago

OK so Simcan got me to thinking about how difficult it was to try and choose just one favorite rose so I feel it's time for another Top Roses list only this time let's make it fun and set some ground rules :)

Here's the criteria you must follow for your Favorite Dozen:

1. Your Favorite RED / MAGENTA

2. Your Favorite ORANGE / APRICOT

3. Your Favorite YELLOW

4. Your Favorite PINK

5. Your Favorite PURPLE / VIOLET / MAUVE / LAVENDER

6. Your Favorite BICOLOR (Example - Double Delight)

7. Your Favorite WHITE

8. Your Favorite CLIMBER

9. Your Favorite FLORIBUNDA

10. Your Favorite GRANDIFLORA

11. Your Favorite HYBRID TEA

12. Your Favorite Old English, Rugosa, Romantica, or David Austin

List your favorites and give reasons why. Is it of sentimental value and hold a dear memory to you? Is it the bloom and color? Is it the scent? I'm curious to read all the results. Everyone try and post so we can see if there's any beautiful roses we may be missing out on from each other's gardens :)

Comments (19)

• bluederby21
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here are mine:

1. Red - Kentucky Derby - Scentimental value because it was the first red rose I ever purchased and has the most
    intense crimson red color of all my roses. It almost seems to glow red and has the loveliest scent of sweet raspberries. It's
    also an added bonus that it is low maintenance for our fussy Florida weather

2. Orange - Cary Grant - A true Orange Rose with huge 6" prolific blooms that last for over a week. The blooms age to an intense
    dark lava Orange and cary a lovely scent - I also like that the rose is named after the Actor

3. Yellow - Walking On Sunshine - Bright clusters of medium-sized yellow roses that seem to last forever and put a smile
    on my face :)

4. Pink - April In Paris - I've yet to visit Paris so for now this will be the closest I've been - I do love the
    soft blend of Creamy White to Pink with just the slightest hint of Peach

5. Violet - Wild Blue Yonder - The most dark and true violet of all my roses that ages a to Hot Purple Magenta. It also looks
    amazing planted in mass especially when the blooms are all of different age giving you this show of blending purples

6. Bicolor - Love & Peace - I like that this is a variation of the most famous rose of all time Peace and the blends of pink and yellow
    The rose also intensifies in color when it gets hot to an almost magenta pink amongst creamy yellow

7. White - Moonstone - This rose was just engineerd for perfection - Everything from the cannes to the petals are thick and perfect
    and the blooms are freaking huge and look amazing against dark green foliage!

8. Climber - Don Juan - Big romantic red blooms that seem to last forever and they are the best for Florida! 'Nuff said :)

9. Floribunda - Mardi Gras hands down no questiones asked. This rose is like 2 roses in one because the blooms
    first start out as gold and orange that eventually age to Orange and Hot Pink - Also new foliage is the most
    beautiful burgundy wine color that ages to a dark hunter green

9. Grandiflora - Dream Come True - Huge prolfic blooms of Golden Yellow with Hot Pink edges - It's simply the best!

10. Hybrid Tea - Gemini - This is the easiest, most disease resistant rose of all my roses to care for. The foliage always remains
    green and perfect and I love how every bloom is a lovely and different blend of creamy white and melon

12. Old English - I don't personally own any Austins or Old English roses YET :( But for a while I have been madly in love with the pink romantica rose Leonardo da Vinci that seems to only be found throughout Europe. I'm dieing to get this rose in my garden so if anyone knows of a U.S. supplier that I can purchase this rose from I'd be eternally greatful :)

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

1. Red - L.D. Braithwaite. I'm just starting collecting reds. This is the only one I've had for more than one year. It survives cold weather (protected), it gets a lot of blooms. Love the stuffed look.

2. Orange don't know yet.

3. Yellow - Golden Celebration. Love the shape of the bush and the floriferousness of it.

4. Pink - Yves Piaget. Probably my favorite rose. Large, extra fragrant scalloped blooms in a wonderful pink. Tons of blooms with quick repeat.

5. Lavender - Enchanted Evening. Smell is fantastic. Holds up under weeks of rain. Tons of blooms. Very visually beautiful from far away too.

Purple - Big Purple. Huge blooms, tons of flowers, fantastic fragrance.

6. Bicolor - Paradise - lots of blooms, adore the colors. Wonderful fragrance

7. White - Bolero - lots of flowers that last forever. Scent is wonderful no matter what the weather or time of day.

8. Climber - John Davis - Lots of flowers. Really hardy. Very visually interesting from far away. Can take less sun. A no worry rose.

9. Floribunda - Enchanted Evening

9. Grandiflora - Tournament of Roses - tons of blooms

10. Hybrid Tea - Steven's Big Purple

12. Old English - Abraham Darby - shape of the bush, scent, shape of the flowers, lots of roses.

I feel like I'm forgetting tons of favorites, that may replace those above. But one can only go with what feels right at the time. As with most of you, my list probably will change with my next flush of roses!! LOL

Eager to read everyone elses.

Blue Derby - I had the chance to get Dream Come True - but I didn't - rats!

Carol

CArol

• Related Discussions

A Dozen Favorite TBs

Q

Comments (8)
    Okay, Walter, this is even harder than narrowing down my 12 favorite medians. Ever year I order more new irises, and every year my list of favorites grows. The ones I've grown the longest and still consider favorites are Flights of Fancy Alizes Chinese Treasure Berry Sherbet Creative Stitchery Magharee Marriage Vows Ringo Conjuration Glitzy or Thinking Out Loud Splashacata Snowbrook Uh oh, that's 12 and I still haven't mentioned Best Bet, Coral Chalice, English Charm, Beverly Sills, Erleen Richeson, Mary Frances, Kiss of Kisses, Lullabye of Spring, Edith Wolford,etc! Among my favorites that are new for me are ASCII Art, Lemon Chess, Impressionist, Frimousse, Braggadocio, Fashion Designer, Mood Swing, Vapor, Ruban Bleu. Shae
    ...See More

In the past I've started a 'What's your favorite camping Tip?'

Q

Comments (1)
    122) Chiggers love the sweet perfume of OFF! Wear it well at clothing openings and about the ankle. (Deer ticks are optional here but plentiful.)
    ...See More

Long Island nurseries: please list your favorites!

Q

Comments (65)
    Westminister Nursery on Westminster Rd. in West Hempstead. They have lots of herbs, veggies, and a large collection of peppers every year. Most of their herbs are from Gilberties, which I find hardier than where other places source their transplants and seedlings (bought some from Hicks that didn't seem as hardy or large). It's open later hours during the growing season and they have half off sales once or twice a year. Hick's I'll only visit if I can't get it at Westminster. It's just okay. They seem to have not that much of selection of growing medium for orchids and the more exotic plants, definitely less than some years ago which is disappointing. They do half off on their veg and herbs in the summer but it just comes to nearly the same price at Westminster anyway. For more exotic veg and herbs, I have picked up Tulsi plant seedlings in Bellerose/Glen Oaks on Hillside Avenue at the small grocery stores. I saw small pots of Curry plants at the Maharaja supermarket near the corner of Hillside Avenue and New Hyde Park Rd. in New Hyde Park. Very rarely I will stop by the farm in Malverne to check out what they have. All the herbs and veg there are organic and most of them are grown in coconut coir. Nothing too unusual and the prices are higher there but I did pick up some nice lemon thyme. In the same vein, I sometimes stop by the Queens County Farm and see what they have for sale in their greenhouse, I picked up some regular English thyme there. I've had the most horrible customer experiences at the Walmart in Westbury, I will never return there (although I did pick up a terribly abused orchid from the clearance section for about $7). The Lowe's in Garden City is nothing special, they carry mostly "Bonnie" herbs and plants and they are pricer than Westminster's herb flats and don't look that hardy. This post was edited by PurpleLotus88 on Sun, Jun 30, 13 at 17:50
    ...See More

Trader Joe's 44 Favorites List

Q

Comments (40)
    This list is so odd. I shop at TJ's almost every week and I buy or like very few of the items on this list! I would be darned if I had to stand in line for 30 min to check out. Since TJ's began in the L.A. area, we have a goodly number of stores. Parking still stinks in most locations, however there are alternative stores and times to shop. Cathy, I'm thrilled that you don't have to drive all the way to Atlanta to find those fun food items!. Good way to make lemonade out of lemons! In addition to some of their produce ( the Kumatos are great!), their pricing on items like Lactaid milk and all dairy products is also very good. We buy cheeses (DH loves their Quatro Fromaggio blend and I use plenty the grated parmesan/romano cheese blend), the dairy products and some juices are definite winners. My grands like Hold the Cones and DH really likes their edamame hummus and their new pomegranate walnut hummus type dip. I buy their green Lindsay olives, marinated and unmarinated artichoke hearts, fresh bruschetta and 3 of their vinegar's. The white balsamic, the small square jar red balsamic and their delicious orange vinegar! Orchids and flowers are definite faves. My dad loved the same ginger thins, but DH prefers the dark chocolate lace cookies. I'm sad that the lost their supplier for meringues. I also discovered a new seltzer drink -- Spindrift Seltzer in grapefruit or raspberry-lime. They are delightful change from the usual sparkling water with lemon or lime. I could go on, but most of the items I like and buy are NOT on that list!
    ...See More
  • dublinbay z6 (KS)
    12 years ago

OK--I'll play your game.

Well, I'm stumped right off. Do I like Braveheart better than Shakespeare 2000? Or better than Dublin Bay climber. But then there is the floribunda Eutin, my very first rose (many decades ago) and always present in my garden, no matter where I have lived. Oops--but what about Chrysler Imperial? But my newest rose is a red polyantha named Mother's Day--it is darling! Let's face it--I'm no good at this game.

I don't actually have an orange/apricot--but Austin's Molineux takes on some strong apricot shades on occasion, so I guess I'll nominate it.

3. Your Favorite YELLOW
    Decisions, decisions! Austin's Happy Child has the loveliest yellow bloom, but the plant is not very vigorous even after 4 years. So maybe I'll pick Elina, a very prolific and disease-resistant HT. Of course, some might argue Elina is more of a creamy white, not a yellow. I consider her a creamy white with a lemon yellow center. Great rose! But now I've ignored my 7 bright yellow mini-roses Sweet Diana--they bloom their little hearts out for me and get almost no disease. Oh dear--I'm messing up again!

4. Your Favorite PINK
    Let's go for hot pink here--HT Peter Mayle. You can spot that color 2 blocks away! Pretty good disease resistance also.

None of mine really fall into this category.

Well, Double Delight, of course! You had to ask? But I have a number of bicolor/blends that compete closely for the number 2 spot which is just a half nose behind Double Delight. Blends are my overall favorites!

7. Your Favorite WHITE
    Guess that would have to be Green Ice--a mini. I have 4 of them.

8. Your Favorite CLIMBER
    Hard to choose between Dublin Bay and Eden--both have their virtues--but if we are talking just about beauty of bloom, Eden wins hands down.

Aha--here is a spot for Eutin, my very first rose decades ago, that I have planted in every garden I've ever made. Showy red clusters of blooms, disease-resistant, hardy.

Can't remember which of my roses is considered a grandiflora. I keep getting them confused with the hybrid teas.

That would be Double Delight--or Elina--or maybe Valencia. Valencia has the biggest bloom in a wonderful buff/gold shade, good fragrance. If it just bloomed more often . . . . There goes that perfection thing again.

Rugosa is easy--one of my newest roses: Fru Dagmar Halstrup (I probably spelled that wrong). The loveliest most delicate shade of pink bloom.

Not sure what qualifies as Old English or Romantica in my garden. I guess Eden is Romantica--I know I have some others, but I'd have to go look them up. Is The Fairy an Old English? It loves to bloom. Or is Mystic Beauty (Bourbon?) an Old English? It is so new that it has never bloomed, so can't say yet.

David Austin rose? That's a hard choice since I love Queen of Sweden and Shakespeare 2000 and Jubilee Celebration, but in terms of the most willing bloomer (and pretty good on disease-resistance), I'd probably give this rating to Molineux. It is also fun to watch it change colors from day to day.

That was kinda fun--but somehow I feel like I might have failed the exam since I took "multiple choice" to mean that I could have more than one choice. That is what you meant, wasn't it? LOL

Kate

• bluederby21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carol - I've added L.D. Braithwaite and Enchanted Evening to my wish list because I do love how dark and intense the red of Braitwaite is and EE seems to be a beautiful, heavenly rose. Also, you owe it to yourself to pick up a Dream Come True! Clusters of big golden blooms enhanced by pink. They are very eye-catching from a distance :)

Kate - Awwwwe you cheated! Only one rose per category :) You're right about Eden - that seems to be one of the most popular in-demand climbers and I can see why. This photo of 4x Eden climbers takes my breath away! Another I've added to my wish list . . . ok make that 2 - added Shakespeare 2000 as well - it seems to be repeated a lot on this forum!

• nastarana
    12 years ago

Red/magenta Right now that would be the Tantau floribunda 'Cinnabar' which I planted in the middle of my vegetable garden.

Orange Tropicana.

Yellow, I have not yet planted a yellow which is reliably hardy where I live now. I understand my former faves, Capt. Thomas and Sunflare, are not.

Pink Redoute, Sydonie, Mme. Knorr

White Alba semiplena

Purple, The Prince, closly followed by Indigo

Floribunda Saratoga

HT Fragrant Cloud

Bicolor Flaming Peace

Climber, The favorite right now is Lawinia, but soon to be overtaken by Rosarium Uetersen, if RU ever stops creeping along the ground and begins to climb.

• vissara
    12 years ago

I love these games.

the easy one, OKLAHOMA, love that color and that scent! It doesn't always perform well here (likes to ball in the the rain and it rains a lot) but when it does....

Gonna cheat a little and slide TROPICAL SUNSET in here, I don't like orange roses but the soft sherbert colors of this one earned it a spot in the garden

3. Your Favorite YELLOW
    GOLD GLOW, also not a color I love, but this one has been a trooper and thus avoided the shovel.

4. Your Favorite PINK
    Here's where it gets hard, but I'll give this one to SOUVENIER DE LA MALMASION love the quartered blooms and heavy fragrance.

again cheating a bit since it's more of a russet, but KOKO LOCO, just put it in this year and I blowen away by the color every time I see it.

Since I only have one of these the prize has to go to SNOWFIRE. It's thorny as the come, but for all the conpetition in the red/white reverse color none measure up to the purity/contrast of the blooms on this one for me

7. Your Favorite WHITE
    RAINFOREST I love the kiss of raspberry pink and how it ages to that soft green.

8. Your Favorite CLIMBER
    REBLOOMING CECILE BRUNNER, this rose is just a powerhouse of blooms.

EBB TIDE, gorgeous dark color and clove fragrance.

and here is where OKLAHOMA turns up again...

OREGONIAN (Sight Saver to those outside the States) every year I cut it back and every year it gets montrous and pumps out hundreds of blooms.

TRADESCANT, color and frangrance again (sensing a pattern?)

• bluederby21
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Vissara, I've never seen Oregonian before but I'm glad it keeps rewarding you year after year with a vengeance! It's so lovely and reminds me a lot of my Elle rose :)

{{gwi:287710}}

• vissara
    12 years ago

I don't think it had a wide US release, I would up with it 'cause our local paper The Oregonian (natch) gave plants to their subscribers on their 150th annivessary, so I don't actually know if it was even in commerce here.

• organicgardendreams
    12 years ago

BlueDerby, this is a fun thread, I am glad you started it!

Hands down 'William Shakespeare 2000'. Incredible velvety, dark bluish red color and fragrance is to die for.

Orange and apricot are not my favorite colors, but there is something about 'Just Joey' that I really like. Maybe it is the very special elegant and sophisticated apricot color of this rose or the bloom form that makes me drawn to it, but there is something more that I just can't name, sorry. I simply think, it is a beautiful apricot rose.

3. Your Favorite YELLOW
    Only lately yellow roses have grown on me and now I have an absolute favorite: 'Charles Darwin'. The yellow of this rose is a pale unobtrusive one, changes a lot in different weather conditions, which keeps it interesting to look at, and fades in a wonderful way. The fragrance is very strong and just a joy for the olfactory sense.

4. Your Favorite PINK
    This is a really hard one because I am growing many lovely pink roses, I am almost curious what my answer will be myself ;-)! And the winner is: 'Bewitched' for the unmatched big, very scented, cool pink flowers that always have a perfect form and have a long life on the bush and in the vase.

Lagerfeld. I was growing this rose in my previous garden and miss it very much. It was pumping out tons of very pale lavender colored blooms that come with a very strong fragrance and made wonderful cut flowers, too.

Sutter's Gold, if that counts as a bicolor. It was growing at a very good friends previous house and she got me a cutting from this rose recently. It is a very beautiful rose if you like bold yellow orange colored roses, which I usually don't, but this one I cherish, maybe mainly because of sentimental reasons. It has a wonderful fragrance, though.

7. Your Favorite WHITE
    'Iceberg'. I know it is a very common rose, but it is so incredible prolific here in SoCa and is the fastest repeating rose that I know of and I just love its white color.

8. Your Favorite CLIMBER
    'Pierre de Ronsard'. The contrast between the pink center of the rose and the outer white petals is just so romantic, besides this the flowers are big and come in huge clustered. If you have ever seen the spring flush of this rose, you will never forget it.

Our Lady of Guadalupe. Very nice, cool silvery pink bloom color. Also a very prolific rose and it repeats quickly.

Sweetness. A beautiful lavender colored rose, with great fragrance, and it is completely healthy in my garden, which is especially rare for a lavender colored rose.

Mister Lincoln. Because of the velvety red gorgeous blooms that are always produced with a perfect exhibition form and the very strong fragrance. If you want to say "I love you" to a person by giving her this, he/she will believe you :-)!

I am not so sure what you mean by Old English as rose group. So I make it Old Garden Rose and my favorite there is 'Yolande de Aragon', because of the sumptuous, big blooms that come in abundance for a hybrid perpetual rose and the good repeat. The fragrance is ultra strong and can fill a whole room. It is a very romantic old fashioned rose that represents for me another time period in rose breading, with a very different ideal how the perfect rose should look like.

I enjoyed reading about the favorite roses of others and hope many more people will add to this thread! Thanks everyone for participating so far.

Christina

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Garden Dreams

• Noni Morrison
    12 years ago

Veterans Honor for its long vase life

at the moment its my brand new "Lady of Shalott" its first flower opened!

3. Your Favorite YELLOW
    Graham Thomas in its 10' splendorous bouquet

4. Your Favorite PINK
    Anne Boleyn

Night Owl...fragrant and unusual and really healthy!

6. Your Favorite BICOLOR (Example - Double Delight) Cherry Parfait...cause it lives and I have killed 3 Double Delights.

7. Your Favorite WHITE
    Austin's "Windrush". ONce bloomer but it fills me with delight when it blooms. Its 6' tall along my deer fence.
    8. Your Favorite CLIMBER
    Polka
    Is Pure Poetry a Floribunda? I no longer have it but what a great show I got from it while it lived!

ROCK and ROll
    Is Medallion a Hybrid Tea or a grandiflora?

Teasing Georgia

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

Munstead Wood
    Gloire de Dijon
    3. Your Favorite YELLOW
    Symphonie
    4. Your Favorite PINK
    Bonica
    Reine des Violettes
    Double Delight!
    7. Your Favorite WHITE
    Bouquet Parfait
    8. Your Favorite CLIMBER
    Eden
    Iceberg
    Delaney Sisters
    St. Patrick
    A Shropshire Lad
    Today. Renee

• harmonyp
    12 years ago

BlueDerby21 - I'm so glad you asked this one. Besides being fun to answer, compelled me to buy a few already seen on this list. My answers below in parens():

1. Your Favorite RED / MAGENTA (Chrysler Imperial � perfect form, delicious fragrance. Likes my dry hot climate. Did get quite a bit of BS and PM during our unusually rainy season but I chopped them to nubbins when the rain and cold quit, and they are coming back fast and perfect)
    2. Your Favorite ORANGE / APRICOT (Fragrant Cloud � deep orange, intense fragrance)
    3. Your Favorite YELLOW (will be Julia Child when I get her!)
    4. Your Favorite PINK (Pink Promise of the ones I have, although I know she�ll be beat by Princess Alexandra of Kent when I get her)
    5. Your Favorite PURPLE / VIOLET / MAUVE / LAVENDER (Heirloom � lots of blooms, flowers have glorious fragrance and stunning megapedal form, very healthy and disease free)
    6. Your Favorite BICOLOR (Marti Gras � dreamy color combination of pink, yellow, orange � flower form is beautiful, colors are very distinct and changes every day and don�t fade out)
    7. Your Favorite WHITE (N/A � not fond of whites)
    8. Your Favorite CLIMBER (St Josephs Coat � love the colors)
    9. Your Favorite FLORIBUNDA (Angel Face � heavenly fragrance, beautiful ruffle blooms, stunning rich lavender color)
    10. Your Favorite GRANDIFLORA (Honey Dijon � love her uniqueness)
    11. Your Favorite HYBRID TEA (Just Joey. Big, blousy blooms, lots of them, great repeat, completely disease free, just a very elegant beautiful rose)
    12. Your Favorite Old English, Rugosa, Romantica, or David Austin (Lady of Shalott � can�t wait to get her!)

• karenforroses
    12 years ago

Great post. Here's my favorites:

1. RED/MAGENTA: Munstead Wood - Stunning blooms that change color beautifully as they age - from red to deep purple - good rebloom & disease resistance.
    2. ORANGE/APRICOT - Prairie Sunrise - Beautiful 'English Rose' type blooms on this hardy disease resistant Buck Rose
    3. YELLOW - Jude the Obscure - Stunning bloom and the most amazing fragrance -
    4. PINK - This one's a tie - Heritage (fabulous bloomer throughout the season and wonderful lemon fragrance) and Quietness (this Buck rose has big beautiful blooms and is hardy, disease resistant and an excellent re-bloomer)
    5. PURPLE/VIOLET- Munstead Wood again, only at the purple stage of its bloom.
    6. BICOLOR: Kristin - A lovely red and white miniature
    7. WHITE- Iceberg
    8. CLIMBER - Ramblin' Red - super hardy & disease resistant - great re-bloom
    9. FLORIBUNDA - Summer Memories - beautiful big cream blooms - hardy & disease resistant
    10. GRANDIFLORA - Don't have one
    11.HYBRID TEA - Helen Naude - beautiful big white and pink blooms - a very robust grower
    12. OLD ENGLISH - I already mentioned Munstead Wood, Heritage and Jude the Obscure, so I think William Shakespeare 2000 would be next.

• canadian_rose
    12 years ago

Blue Derby = I didn't get Dream Come True because there is no scent. But I'll make an exception for this rose next year!!

And yes, Enchanted Evening is a wonderful, wonderful rose. I never want to be without it.

This is a fun thread!!

Carol

• harmonyp
    12 years ago

BlueDerby - I just needed to let you know that I hold you personally responsible for me just buying Dream Come True and Tropicana. I keep telling myself I will NOT buy any more moderns (am now just 2 short of 60), but then you go ahead and post this thread.

Now with the sad "Weeks" situation, I keep finding gorgeous Weeks roses on sale everywhere. I was quite proud of myself earlier in the week when I only bought Hot Cocoa, and left Dream Come True (that I never had seen/heard of before), and Tropicana (Wasn't a weeks, but was huge and healthy). Then after reading through this thread and seeing multiple plugs for Dream Come True, and an Orange Favorite of Tropicana, back the next day I went to pick them up.

You enabler you! ;)

• notrafficinga
    12 years ago

1. Your Favorite RED / MAGENTA - Othello
    2. Your Favorite ORANGE / APRICOT - Crepuscule
    3. Your Favorite YELLOW - Happy Child
    4. Your Favorite PINK Fantin LaTour
    5. Your Favorite PURPLE / VIOLET / MAUVE / LAVENDER Bayse's Purple. I don't have it though.
    6. Your Favorite BICOLOR (Example - Double Delight) Red Intuition - it's on order from Vintage will have it soon !!!
    7. Your Favorite WHITE - Pope John Paul II
    8. Your Favorite CLIMBER - Silver Moon
    9. Your Favorite FLORIBUNDA - Daddy's Girls
    10. Your Favorite HYBRID MUSK - Darlow's Enigma (don't know many Gradiflora's and down own one)
    11. Your Favorite HYBRID TEA Chrysler Imperial
    12. Your Favorite Old English, Rugosa, Romantica, or David Austin - Linda Campbell

• carolinamary
    12 years ago

1. Favorite RED / MAGENTA - Maggie. I especially like the flatish (not high-centered) form that looks like nothing so much as a dancer's full array of bright rosy skirts. Even though it's a Bourbon, it's extremely healthy and easy to grow. Low in thorns, large in bloom size. The blooms last a long time in the vase, and you can stare at it forever without tiring of appreciating its beauty.

2. Favorite ORANGE / APRICOT - We don't have this color yet that I've seen, though tiny Crepuscle (noisette), when it gets large enough to bloom, will be a faint shade of this. Maybe. That's a low-thorns healthy rose with large blooms too.

3. Favorite YELLOW - Julia Child. I like its butter yellow color, but even in the summer when it fades some, you can still tell that it's a yellow, not a white.

4. Favorite PINK - General Schablikine. Often called a red, it has always been a dusty deep pink here, regardless of season. We've had it from two different nurseries and the color was a dusty pink in both cases. It's a beautiful, beautiful color that contrasts nicely with the lighter pinks that we have a good many of. Its form is flatish and full-petaled. Fairly low in thorns, good-sized flowers that keep on going late into the fall. Evergreen in North Carolina.

5. Favorite PURPLE / VIOLET / MAUVE / LAVENDER - Reine des Violettes, assuming it's going to eventually get around to blooming here. (I've read that sometimes it takes awhile to establish.) Low/no thorns, and so far the picture of health here.

6. Favorite BICOLOR (Example - Double Delight) - Cinco De Mayo. This is a party rose, pure party rose. If you plant Cinco De Mayo, you must prepare to take a bloom in the house, clinch it between your teeth, put on your dancing shoes and dance all over in a big ruffled skirt. (Guys can wear kilts, I suppose...) The rose's only negative is that it's a bit thorny. Otherwise, it's amazingly healthy, and beautiful in its combination of colors with ruffly edges. It blooms less once it loses much of its sunlight, but it never gets a bit of any kind of disease (grown organically, at least).

7. Favorite WHITE - Lion's Fairy Tale. Healthy, healthy, and will take a bit of shade and still bloom well. Large blooms.

8. Favorite CLIMBER - Madame Alfred Carriere. We don't have it yet, but I'm figuring on ordering it this fall.

9. Favorite FLORIBUNDA - Gruss An Aachen. It's simply a perfectly beautiful rose, and it smells wonderful too if you get it in just the right temperature.

10. Favorite GRANDIFLORA - Eutin. The pictures at Help Me Find are so heavy with the numbers of blooms in its bloom clusters that you'd swear they must have been Photoshopped, but no, those huge numbers of bright red blooms are actually what we're seeing here... growing next to our pergola in far, far too much shade. It is getting a little powdery mildew in all that shade, but a hard spray with the hose once in awhile gets rid of it instantly. If shade is your problem, this is your rose. A little bit thorny, but you can't always have everything, and its interesting foliage looks good in the landscape. Evergreen in North Carolina.

11. Favorite HYBRID TEA - We don't have a hybrid tea, but we've had two pinks (tossed due to Rose Rosette Disease) that show a lot of hybrid tea parentage and we'll buy those two again soon: Belinda's Dream and a tiny very attractive small shrub with a bloom that looks like a tiny version of another Belinda's Dream: Rose Rosette.

12. Favorite Old English, Rugosa, Romantica, or David Austin - David Austin's Mortimer Sackler, hands down. The blooms here have looked exactly like those featured on David Austin's website, and this rose is healthy, healthy, healthy. Beautifully delicate looking and lovely to sniff, too.

13. Favorite LANDSCAPE ROSE OF THE YEAR award (I just made this one up because there's no list that ought to leave out this rose!) - Mrs. Dudley Cross. If you can only have one rose, this one is it. It's luminous creamy colored blooms are breathtakingly beautiful and they're eyecatchers in any vase too. Give yourself a gold star if you buy this one, because you made the right decision! And add a second star if you can also buy General Schablikine to plant beside it; the pink of General Schablikine perfectly reflects the faint dusty pink edging of Mrs. Dudley Cross in cooler weather. They look splendid together in a vase. Quite healthy if grown organically. Evergreen in North Carolina.

Ours is a no-spray anywhere any time yard and all these roses are suitable for growing that way, at least in warm and humid blackspot-prone North Carolina.

Best wishes,
    Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: Mrs. Dudley Cross

• amalthea
    12 years ago

What a fun thread!

Mme Isaac Pereire. I can't get enough of the color and scent!

Valencia, HT. It has some of the largest blooms I've ever grown.

3. Your Favorite YELLOW
    I've only recently come around to yellow, so the closest thing to a yellow I've grown is Peace.

4. Your Favorite PINK
    Kordes Perfecta

Ebb Tide, or Angel Face. Both blooms amaze me with their colors.

Double Delight!

7. Your Favorite WHITE
    Pope John Paul II

8. Your Favorite CLIMBER
    Eden

Scentimental. I don't care that the blooms blow quickly, it's a bloom machine in my garden and fragrant.

Camelot.Gorgeous shrimp pink flowers.

Peace, again.It was one of the first roses I grew.

Sharifa Asma. Fragrant and such pretty, pretty flowers. So perfect that they don't look real. And when the sun shines on them they just seem to glow.

• seil zone 6b MI
    12 years ago

OK, I gotta play too.

Red Intuition
    That's tough, I have a lot of those colors. But Hondo just gave me some magnificent blooms.
    3. Your Favorite YELLOW
    Julia Child
    4. Your Favorite PINK
    Quietness
    Ooo, another toughie. RdV is nice but she only really blooms once for me so I'll say Paradise. Angel Face is lovely and blooms a lot but she spots a lot too!
    Almost every rose in my garden is a blend, reverse or bi-color so how do I pick? OK, I'll go with DD too.
    7. Your Favorite WHITE
    Pope John Paul II
    8. Your Favorite CLIMBER
    Candy Land
    Brilliant Pink Iceberg
    Dream Come True
    Veterans' Honor
    Golden Celebration

And I'll add a few you missed:
    13. Favorite OGR
    Honorine de Brabant
    14. Favorite Polyantha
    Zenaitta
    15. Favorite mini
    Softee, it's never out of bloom
    16. Favorite Shrub
    Winter Sunset

I think that covers them all.
    Of course, like most of us this list can change daily!