SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ozland76

What to use when ammending soil?

ozland76
15 years ago

I am new here, first post.

I have learned enough from here that I should get a soil anlysis done, and I have. I have recieved teh test results as well as some recomendations on how to remedy my soils issues. I was wondering if I should follow the recomendations from the lab, as well as what to use to acheive desired results.

I am going to be planting TTTF, two Maples, a couple of pear trees, as well as some shrubs. My "lawn" is approximately 6k square feet. This is for a new construction house.

Results and recommendations from lab:

PH is 8.3, High. They recommend I initially put down sulfur at a rate of 20lbs/1k square feet and till it in to a depth of 3 inches about 6 weeks before planting (which works with what I want to do.). After the lawn is established, apply 5lbs/1k square feet for three years. 8.3 is ok for fescue, but is bad for trees/shrubs.

N is 4ppm, low

P is 17ppm, low

K is 92, medium

They recommend I apply a 13-13-13 fertilizer at the time I till in the sulfur at a rate of 1lb/1k square feet. Do the same at the time of planting and do the same every time I fertilize for three years.

Organic matter is 0.4%

They recommend to add compost to the soil wherever I plan to plant flower/shrubs.

I plan on tilling in 23 cubic yards of compost into the whole yard at the same time I add the sulfur. Is this enough, and is it a good idea?

Where do I find sulfur (general ideas please)?

What type of fertilizer should I use, and is there an organic alternaltive which is as effective as a chemical and comparable in price? I can get alfalfa pellets from a store, and can get Urea from a COOP.

When I plant the grass, I plan on using an aerator.

Thanks in advance.

Comments (6)