SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
safaribabe

Phosphorus Amendments?

safaribabe
14 years ago

Until I can get to our local extension office, I bought my own soil testing kit. I haven't done the Potassium yet but the Nitrogen is very high, the PH is on the low side and the phosphorous is just about ZILTCH. The land's soil is primarily from granite. It's very hard clay. It takes a pick ax to break through it. Our cucumbers, grapes, tomatoes, squash, blackberries and tomoatoes are doing well although we did turn in some sand, planting soil and horse manure. Our corn is stunted and I believe because the PH is too low. But more worrisome is the low phosphorus.

I want to get several areas ready to plant next winter/spring and wonder what is the cheapest way to amend the soil to raise the phosphorus. I am thinking I would have to add alot of bonemeal to raise it. I also want to get some cover crops going this fall as part of prepping next years bets. I want to actually cover crop the whole garden, even areas we walk in as I need some good strong roots to dig into the soil to help break it up (fava beans?).

I am googling phosphorus and all but would love some personal feedback on how to improve it in a way that is the most effective, organic and low cost. I have several compost piles going. Although, the area is so dry and hot, that right, now, the plants are breaking down out of sheer heat rather than a slow moist breakdown. I can't keep it watered enough (for logistical reasons-hard to explain) although I have them covered. So I will be able to add compost but I do not think that will augment the phosphorus.

Comments (14)