SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenmanya

Rose chafers or are we going to have a BEETLE summer

gardenmanya
13 years ago

Ok , I need your input! I think I saw a few of them before, but... I came from work yesterday morning, and noticed that my white clematis is brown.Came closer to look and... So there were dozens of them . They completely ate white Japanise iris, white clematis, I counted 11 of them on ONE little Prosperity bloom. All my white /light colored rose blooms are gone.Color preference?? They were shamelessly having passionate sex everywhere! I picked up the BIG bucked and after two hours had a couple of hundred of them swimming in soap. To make the things worse there was a JB running the show from my Gemini, and I think I picked up a couple of Chinese(?) beetles. I had never seen that many of even JBs in my garden.The soil was treated with milky spores twice.

Quick research indicated that Rose chafers like sandy soil - I'm on the granite hill with some clay mixed in. Anybody in my region has some experience, or I've just opened the door to a new disaster? It is cloudy today , and they are not in the garden. But yesterday it was plain disgusting. When my husband came home I was almost in tears, putting up the budget for asphalt in the back yard. Thank you for letting me vent! Maria

Comments (8)