SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swampwiz_gw

How hard to move a 40' tall tree?

swampwiz
14 years ago

I have a fairly nicely wooded lot. In the front of the homepad there are some nice trees (beautiful 90' tall pine and some 40' gum? trees), however these trees are not spaced as nicely as I would like. Also, there are some gum, and maple (I believe) trees in the back that I would be removing (to give me a nice big open area.) The trees in the back have a similar height, canopy, and fullness of branches and leaves, so they would look normal with the front trees.

The best case would be to move a few of these trees from the back to the front . I have no idea how hard it would be to do this, but certainly it should be possible to dig up the tress with the assocaited root system and soil, put it on a dump truck, and replant it elsewhere. I suppose it could be rather expensive as well, but as long as it would not be too expensive, it could be an option for me.

During the last hurricane, a few gum trees got knocked down from the roots, and the root volume did not look all that large (for a 40' tree, about 6' wide and 2' deep.)

Any ideas, or should I just get a fresh 40' tree from a nursery?

Comments (9)