SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sandhill_farms

Compost Tea Setup (Photos)

sandhill_farms
13 years ago

I thought that I'd share a compost tea setup that I built several years ago. It cost well under $100 for parts and works very well.

As you can see in the Photos it's a 55 gallon pickle barrel and aquarium parts. I first drilled a hole towards the bottom of the barrel and installed a hose bib. I then purchased a small aquarium pump and a couple of air stones, (help me out here people, I'm not in to aquariums and I'm having a brain fart and dont recall what those long things are in the Photos but they pump air). For lack of a better description I'll call them "air stones." I then bought some plastic tubing and that was it.

What I do is to take an old pillow case and put in composted horse manure along with one of the air stones and suspend it down in to the barrel. I also run another air stone in to the barrel and let it rest on the bottom. I then fill it with water and plug it in. It doesn't take but a day and I have some really good tea that I can either put-in my sprayer or use as a soil drench.

You can use whatever ingredients you want in the pillow case, sometime I'll add mollases or alfalpha pellets and other ingredients.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to ask here or shoot me an email.

Greg

Nevada

{{gwi:299641}}

{{gwi:299643}}

Comments (4)