SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
thisismelissa

Tri Color Beech .... AGAIN!

thisismelissa
9 years ago

I'm hoping to get y'all's thoughts on this tree, again. I've read several other threads about it, now I'm really considering pulling the trigger.

KEN: I sent you an email about this... must've gone into your spam folder! I know you're a fan of the Tri-Color Beech. I was hoping to get your added comments on it.

A local garden center has several of these, from Monrovia. I saw that all the tags have been changed to say zone 5-7, instead of Monrovia saying 4-7. I'm sure this is just to cover them, not having to guarantee hardiness in extreme winters like the one we just had.
http://www.monrovia.com/plant-catalog/plants/2567/tricolor-european-beech/

But I'm more curious about your own experience.

Can you tell me about where you have these sited?
A local garden guru says that it requires afternoon shade, or it will burn. How much sun/shade does yours get?
Does it burn?
If I put it in a place of prominence (like the front corner of my house), will it still look good come August, September?
Does it require protection from winter winds?
Can it handle some wet feet from time-to-time? (I'm told Beeches can)

Here are the sites I'm considering:
1. Front & Center of my east-facing front yard. Sun till 3pm, But this spot ends up with a lot of snow from the snow blower on the driveway
2. Front of house at corner. So it'd be on the NE corner. Sun till about 1pm.
3. In the hosta garden. It'd get early morning sun and a bit of late evening sun. I'd say maybe 3 hours total.
All areas are on our irrigation system. Our soil is light clay.

I appreciate your thoughts!

Comments (20)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor