SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mwilk42

A few questions about lasagna/sheet composting

mwilk42
15 years ago

I have been reading a lot of posts on this forum, but I have to say that I am still somewhat confused about some things. I have tried to do various searches before posting anything, but I really haven't found the answers that I need.

I decided to make a new flower bed a couple of months ago. I should have done this last fall, but I didn't. Next year is fine for the flower bed, but I am trying to improve the soil all I can by then. I have heavy clay soil. I put down cardboard where I wanted the bed to be. Then I added a bunch of cotton seed hulls since I knew this was not going to be a vegetable garden. I have been piling grass clippings on it weekly, as well as adding the kitchen vegetable scraps. I put some alfalfa pellets on it to get it going. The problem I seem to have is I can't seem to keep it wet. It will appear to be wet on top, but when I pitch it around, the underneath is very dry. Even putting a sprinkler on it just lets the water run off. It doesn't really seem to be very hot. How often should I turn it? We turned it and wet it several times the day before yesterday and today when I turned it, it seemed to be very dry underneath again. I would say that I probably have about a 6-8 inch depth of grass, hulls, etc. on top of the cardboard. I don't think it is running off the cardboard, I don't think it gets that far.

Thanks for your help.

justsaymo

Comments (2)