SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysideuphill

Polareis surgery - planning suggestions?

sunnysideuphill
13 years ago

Ok, once again the June rains have brought this beauty low. This rose bush is the size of a VW bug, and I am not exaggerating. When I park my old 86 Toyota shortbed truck in front of it, standing on the side away from the rose, the tops of the arching canes were visible over the cab, before the most recent heavy rain.

The damage last year led to lots of winter kill so this spring I took an entire truck load of prunings to the dump, leaving behind a bush with mostly long arching canes, naked except for a few vertical shoots, the long canes ending in big balls of foliage and buds. After the recent heavy rain, those long canes look like lollipops that have been bent over. There is daylight through the center of the bush. It is not pretty. The young man who does the hardscape landscaping for me agrees that hard pruning to reshape the whole thing is in order.

But this is the thorniest rose I have ever had, and so attacking it requires a game plan, not to mention the leather gauntlet gloves. I am thinking that I want to go at it from the ends of the canes, just cutting off 2' or less pieces, pitching them in the truck as I go, to minimize the need to handle them.

My first question is - those arching canes with vertical new growth - should I cut them back to the first vertical cane, or should I leave more than one vertical?

The second question deals with fertilizer. This rose hasn't had any yet (most of the others had Osmocote in early May). After surgery, should I feed it some Osmocote? Or water with fish emulsion to get some food into it quicker?

Comments (5)