SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redthistle

Pine Bark Nuggets

15 years ago

Any idea why my local Lowe's garden folks would have an aversion to pine bark nuggets?

Currently, we are under drought conditions. We've started overheating early this year with 49 days of above 90 degree temps and many of those days were in the triple digits. We've also had little rain.

Because of this, I've been mulching my beds with pine bark nuggets purchased from Lowe's. I've used pine bark nuggets before and was satisfied with them. I think they look nice, and they seem to last a long time. In my garden, I've had them last as long as 3-plus years. I also have very alkaline soil so I would think the nuggets might lower the pH just a little over time.--If anyone can confirm this, I'd appreciate it.

When buying the nuggets (and I've bought about 145 bags this summer but not all at one time), I've gotten many unsolicited negative comments from the local Lowe's garden folks.

One Lowe's rep. said they were ugly and that "beauty was in the eye of the beholder." Obviously, this is a subjective opinion, so that's okay. Another said the pine bark nuggets weren't as good or would not last as long as the native hardwood mulch. No reason was given as to why the nuggets weren't "as good." Do you know of one?

Yet another said the nuggets would tie up the nutrients in the soil. I thought all mulches did this to some extent when they're first breaking down?

What's your opinion? Do you see anything wrong with pine bark nuggets? Do you know of an advantage of native hard wood mulch?--For me, I found the native hard wood mulch broke down in about one season.

Comments (12)