SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jtmacc99

The $3,000 ZTR Lawnmower Question

jtmacc99
16 years ago

Having evaluated all of my needs, I am 95% certain that a ZTR mower with a 38"-44" deck will be the correct tool for my lawn. I've got an acre, with many, many obstacles, and as I keep adding obstacles, it has increased my mowing time to 1 hour and 45 minutes with my current lawn tractor.

There have been dozens of useful posts here about this topic, so hopefully I can narrow down my question here to something that hasn't been repeatedly discussed already.

First, I am aware that many people have concerns that $3,000 is the entry price for ZTR mowers, and that quality is suspect for this bottom of the line option. Based on my research, it seems that with 30 or more mowers available in this range, there have to be at least a few good ones. So I'm completely ruling out the option of coughing up another two grand to get a commercial mower. I'm sure that I can get what I need in my price range, as long as I take my time making the decision.

Second, I've seen many different opinions on brands, but not enough to make me think that one is guaranteed to be better than all the rest. So, please feel free to voice your opinion again here if you have a strong opinion.

Third, the link below (found when following a link in a recent post here) has a list with some very useful information. I would welcome any of your opinions about what the "experts" said.

So at this point I have done a lot of reasearch on the internet, and I think my first trip to all of the various dealers will be to look at the following:

Snapper 150Z, 20hp B&S engine, 42"

Snapper 250Z, 20hp B&S engine, 42" ($400 instant rebate through October)

Ariens 1840 Zoom, 18 hp Kohler, 40" (Have had good experience with Ariens, which is a big plus for me.)

Deere EZtrak Z225, 18.5hp, 42" (would also consider the JD zero turn tractors X300 and X304)

Toro Timecutter Z Z420, B&S 16hp, 42"

Toro Timecutter Z Z4200, 19HP Kohler, 42"

Simplicity Axion 20/42, B&S 20hp, 42"

Simplicity Javelin 20/38 or 20/44, B&S 20hp/1 or 20/2, ($400 instant rebate on either, but the 20/44 is still at the top of my price range.)

I also looked at the Gravely options, but I'm not sure they have anything in my price range.

I do not know anything about Lawn Boy but would welcome your thoughts on the models shown on the web page listed above.

I would also welcome any suggestions of other models I should consider to my list above. At this point, I'm just making the list of mowers I want to go and see.

Thank you so much for your time and opinions.

John

Here is a link that might be useful: ZTR mower reviews at howstuffworks.com

Comments (5)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions