SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gtrendel

URGENT! Simplicity Reagent/Broadmoor vrs. Husqvarna

gtrendel
16 years ago

Hi everyone - I have been watching a few days now - need to make a decision soon, and can't quite figure out which trigger to pull.

I am considering a couple of tractors.

1. 18/38 Broadmoor - 2006 - priced at $3000. It's a floor model with 6 hours on it.

2. 20/38 Reagant - priced at $2299

3. Husqvarna 21hp Kawasaki with 46" deck - $2400

4. Husqvarna 26hp/54" deck - Lowes special - after 10% discount at $2070.

Here are my needs.

Yard is about 1 acre - flat with typical local variation. I've got a couple of beds. I will also pull the occassional cart and need to drag a horse arena.

I am 6'8" tall and weigh about 280 pounds. I have driven all three and fit does not seem to be an issue.

I love everything I have heard about the simplicities, and I am leaning that way, but I am a little nervous that the Reagant is not beefy enough for my tastes and the Broodmoor is a little too much money. (I also need to buy a bagger). I test drove the Husq with the Kawi engine - oh what a great engine! It was the smoothest and quietest of them all. The Husq 26/54 is the cheapest of them all, but I think it is more deck than I need, and I would prefer a double rather than a triple.

Does anybody have experience pulling a drag? Would I be able to do it with the lessor models above?

I think these are all strong tractors, and part of me says buy the least expensive one - it's only a lawnmower, right?

Looking forward to hearing your thoughts!

-Gary

Comments (16)

• wally2q
    16 years ago

I'm not sure what you use for the drag, but I used a spike harrow, on hard clay soil - with an entry level tractor (JD L120). I would imagine the horse arena would be fairly coarse sand and fine gravel - that does not bind too tight. If the drag is what I think it is, a medium duty machine should be OK. Don't skimp out for a few hundered bucks.

• bmur
    16 years ago

I currently own a simplicity Conquest and traded a Broadmoor in for it. My father in law had a Regent until a year ago. The Broadmoor is worth the extra money, in my opinion. I am a big fellow too, and after spending and hour on both of these mowers, you will be able to tell a difference. The Broadmoor has a heavier frame, the same gauge as the Conquest and Prestige. The Broadmoor also has the Brigg's Vanguard motor, which is their best motor. The Husqvarna 21hp mower would probably be my choice the the two Husqvarna's. From what I understand, the Husqvarna's are good mowers, but not quite up to par with the Simplicities. I can speak for the Simplicities but not for the others. That is a great price on the Broadmoor. That is $1200 off the price of a 2007 model. If maintained properly, all the mowers should last for quite some time. The difference in price is not that much if you divide it out by the number of years you keep it. Ten years should be reasonable. Hope this helps.

• lkbum_gw
    16 years ago

Check the simplicity web site for their rebate offers. This might influence your decision. Also, look at how the decks are attached on the simplicity vs the Husky. The SImplicity is significantly different and it produces a VERY good cut. I purchased a broadmore this year and am very pleased but I have only had it a few months and only used it a couple of times. A previous poster recommended a wider deck as it makes edging much easier. The 38" deck does not extend past the mowers wheel and is somewhat limited. Go for the Boardmore with a 44" deck. But you're looking at $3500 after rebate. I agree on the kawaskai engine, I compared with Deer X320 (which had the Kaw. Engine) before making my purchase and that was the smoothest quietest engine I have ever withnessed.

• brucealmighty
    16 years ago

I recently got rid of a Simplicity Regent after owning it for four years. I paid $1849, plus another $220 for the hydro transmission. That tractor was the worst buying mistake I've ever made. It was SIMPLY over-priced JUNK. It was trouble from day one. To make matters worse, the dealer usually tried to convince me that the problems were my own fault. Thinking back on what I could have gotten for that much money, I will never stop kicking myself. I just went to Lowes and bought the cheapest thing they had, a Bolens by MTD. So far, it's just as good, if not better than the Simplicity, and for less than half the money. DON'T BUY A SIMPLICITY, unless all you want is a very nice looking orange lawn ornament.

• eal51
    16 years ago

As a Simplicity Conquest owner, I vote that you go with the Broadmoor. Not to bash Husqvarna, but the Broadmoor is a better tractor.

You will also find the Briggs Vanguard an excellent engine.

Enjoy the journey.

eal51 in western CT

• sadixon49
    16 years ago

Pulling the drag is the defining work here. I'm certain the manufacturers would consider that "ground engaging work". That being said the tractor must be a true garden tractor, not a lawn tractor. Otherwise, your warranty is toast the the first time you need it, they'll say you abused it. I would eliminate the Regent and the large deck Husky for this reason. Your choice is the Broadmoor or the Kawasaki powered Husky. I would probably choose the Broadmoor as it has a much better reputation than Husqvarna, but that's easy to say because it's your money.
    steve

• jdd332d
    16 years ago

38" deck is on the small side for an acre. I'd take the cheapest and most capable of the bunch - the Husky 2654 from Lowe's.

• dave_ma
    16 years ago

There's no question about it,

The Simplicity BROADMOOR is the best of the tractors you listed. I have one myself. How long did you test drive these? From experience, the Broadmoor will be more comfortable than the Husq (I have used my neighbor's Husq before when I left my tractor at my parents' house).

The B&S Vanguard engine, while maybe not as smoothe as the Kawa, runs great and has plenty of power.

If money is a factor, go with the Husq over the Regent. The Regent is pretty much a lawn mower only.

• messmaker
    16 years ago

I agree that a 38" deck is too small. The Lowe's Huskt may be the way to go. The Husky may not be quite as nimble and the deck does not have as mich lip as some others so it does not climb over obstacales as well as some other deck designs.The post above noted that the Husky could be overmatched with the drag but I suspect you would be just fine.

• sbreit55
    16 years ago

Gary,
    I just bought a leftover Broadmoor 2006 18 HP Kohler single cyl. engine 44 inch deck 1.4 hrs on the meter, about 6 weeks ago. I paid $2950.00 for it. I think it is a great machine. The broadmoor has a super nice cut. I traded in a 13 year old Simplicity Regent, 38 inch deck and never had any major problems with it, The dealer gave me $200.00 wich made the price of the Broadmoor $2750.00. You will notice a big difference between the ride and comfort factor between the Regent and the Broadmoor after you are on them for any lengthy period of time. I am 6'1" and 220 lbs and the broadmoor is a way nicer ride. You can get closer with the Brodmoors wider deck since it sticks out past the wheels, but it does not turn as tight as my old Regent. Don't worry about the three blades on the deck, once you see what a great cut you get you will be very happy. My lawn is over an acre, and has many mature pines and shade trees and many roots, and not real smooth. This machine just does not scalp anywhere, perfect cut!! I can not tell you about the other machines but can tell you I like the Broadmoor. I hope whatever you buy works good and you have good luck with it. Steve

• theodocius
    16 years ago

Gary, some considerations.....
    38" is a bit small for 1 acre. I would suggest nothing smaller than 42". You mentioned that you want a bagger. If cost is a concern, stay away from 3-bladed decks; you'll need a powered bagger for good pickup ($$$$). Since you'll be dragging that horse arena, stay away from low-end hydros. However, I don't know that you need a "true" garden tractor, just avoid low-end stuff.

If you are considering Husqvarna, you may want to look at Sears GTs. Husky and Sears tractors are made by the same manufacturer, with a few differences in options. I would buy a Sears GT for the same money as Regent, if buying new.

I am a former Craftsman owner, now using a Simplicity GT and liking it....a lot!

t

• simpleman
    16 years ago

At 6'8 and 280 no question the Broadmoor is the ONLY choice. I'm 6/2 & 270 lb and moved up from a Regent to a Broadmoor. In my opinion you need the larger tractor to handle your larger frame. A test drive of each unit should confirm this. Try to negotiate for a bigger deck though. A 38" deck will drive you crazy on a 1 acre lot unless you enjoy alot of unnecessary seat time.

Enjoy the search!

• nine7xbam
    16 years ago

I've had a Broadmoor with a 38" deck for two years for my 3/4 acres and like it just fine . It takes about 1 hour to mow my lawn which used to take 1 hour 20 minutes with a Honda 3813 38" deck - the difference being the superior cutting Simplicity allowing me to mow at a faster speed . I'd guess another 15-20 minutes extra to mow with the 38" deck as opposed to the 44" deck . The deck overhang on the 44" deck does allow to trim closer to obstacles , but not much obstacles in my yard and I easily weedwack the few places where the deck won't reach since I weedwack around areas where no rider can reach anyway .

There are a few more advantages to the smaller deck such as one less blade to change or sharpen , no need to spend for the turbo attachment if you opt for a bagger , and a lighter deck to pull out from under the tractor - although the 38" deck is very sturdy and no lightweight itself . Besides the Kawasaki engine on the Husqvarna , the AYP (same as Craftsman) built chasiss doesn't even begin to compare to the build quality of the Simplicity . Hope this helps , good luck in whatever choice you make !

• soccer_dad
    16 years ago

I'd say any of these will do what you need. How long do you want them to do it is the question. The Broadmoor will give an excellent cut every year until you get tired of servicing it. The others will probably give you 5-10 years service. The YTH2146 would have my interest under $2k, but not at $2400. IMHO the Broadmoor at $3k is your better value. I didn't like the 38" deck when I tested one because I could not edge with it. Just my preference, YMMV. I'd also recommend that this type power equipment should be bought from a dealer rather than a box store. I like service where I buy it.

• lynxville
    16 years ago

I bought an inexpensive riding lawn mower and the tranny started to go the second year, it ate belts, and the cut was so so. I now have a Prestige with power steering and traction control. The cut is better than anything my neighbors use to cut there grass. The deck is solid and easy to remove on cement. I have maybe 65 hours of use and I love this tractor. I highly recommend Simplicity.

• kachinee
    16 years ago

I just looked at a lot of tractors and ZTR's. My over all impression was that the point where one could really make a distinction in quality was between the residential and commercial machines, especially when getting into even the low level ZTRs, or the top end John Deere and other tractors that have the Kawasaki, Vanguard etc. engines.
    Of the tractors mentioned, I think they are all worth what their price is, i.e.,Lowes Husq the cheapest, the Kawsaki Husq next up and then the Simplicity.
    The Kawsaki engines idle so quietly it makes you want one, so for me, I would at least try for that level of tractor or higher.
    As far as towing, some ZTR like Hustler offer a towing option. I am wondering if anyone has used a ZTR for towing because I do some of that, yet would like a ZTR like the Fasttrak.

Sponsored
More Discussions