SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rideauroselad

Austin Reds - Comparatively Speaking

I have been growing roses, Austins and others, for more than two decades now. I have always had a passion for the very full, quartered old fashioned reds, the darker the better. It is an enigma to me why I love the dark red old fashioned blooms so much, because other bloom types of red rose, explorers, HTs, Floribundas, etc. spark no interest on my part.

In my earlier rose growing years I tried a number of the red HPs, Empereur du Maroc, Souvenir du Docteur Jamain and a few others. Likely because I was relatively new to rose growing, the plants of those varieties did not do well for me and I was too impatient with them when they would not perform to my unrealistic expectations. I will try more HPs if I ever again have a garden in a warm climate. In fact, if I could find an authentic version of Souvenir d'Alphonse Lavallée, I'd scoop it up now.

So I started trying the red Austin roses. I have trialed most of them over the years, shovel pruned some for various reasons, or did not replace others when I moved across the continent 11 years ago. Since then, I have tried many more.

This spring, I am growing two of the newest ones, Munstead Wood and Darcey Bussell. They have both begun to bloom and I am quite impressed with both for habit, vigour and bloom power. Especially for such young plants, albeit grafted, They have now both joined my short list of red keepers for my cold climate garden.

I think now that I likely have my primary list of red old fashioned roses for this garden and climate. My list includes the following:

The Squire 1977; Wenlock, 1984; William Shakespeare, 1987; Darcey Bussell, 2005; and Munstead Wood, 2007; and the Barden introduction Siren's Keep, 2003.

Here are a few images for comparison, but as always seems to be the case with my red rose images, the colours are not quite true to life.

{{gwi:277653}}

The Squire who grows in a pot. Sparse habit, poor disease resistance, scant fragrance; but absolutely the most spectacular dark crimson red quartered blooms and reasonable rebloom and vigour. I keep him solely for his blooms which frequently grace the house in a posie, or bud vase

{{gwi:277654}}

This image is of a bloom each of The Squire, William Shakespeare 2000 and Tradescent in a posie. The bloom on the top left is The Squire, WS 2000 top right and Tradescent at bottom. WS 2000 and Tradescent alas do not like my climate and have left the garden.

{{gwi:277655}}

This is an image of my 3rd year own root plant of Wenlock. Healthy, vigorous, clustered flowers, extreme damask fragrance and excellent rebloom. The colour is a little on the purple side of red but very pleasing to my eye.

{{gwi:238769}}

and another Wenlock

{{gwi:226013}}

William Shakespeare, 1987; a better plant for my climate than the 2000 variety. Much more vigorous, larger blooms, better fragrance, healthy and good rebloom.

{{gwi:277656}}

and another: this is from a French website/blog that I can no longer find on th web, but is the best image of the original William Shakespeare rose that I have seen, this is the real thing, and real colour. The photographer is a lady named C. Baral, her image, not mine. But it is so gorgeous, I just had to link it.

{{gwi:277657}}

And a final image of a 4 day old bloom of Darcey Bussell taken this morning. The colour in reality is less coral and more on the purple side of the spectrum, but the blooms are gorgeous and long lasting. The plant, vigorous, shrubby and healthy.

I don't have any images of Munstead Wood yet, but he is covered in buds that will open is a few days.

Hope your red roses are doing well also.

Cheers,

Rideau Rose Lad, aka Rick

Comments (21)