SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cearbhaill

Tree growing too quickly?

I have a spot in my yard where anything planted grows abnormally quickly.

Background:

When we moved into this home in 5/07 there was an enormous hemlock tree in the spot which for various reasons we had removed and the stump ground out. Later that year we planted a hydrangea in the general area and it grew huge and lanky very quickly. OK- I am new to gardening in this climate so maybe I just used the wrong plant.

The next spring ('08) we planted a Cotinus coggygria 'Royal Purple', Purple Smoke tree that I got for $1.99 on the Lowe's "neglected and nearly dead" rack in a one gallon pot- it can't have been eight inches tall. In the next year it grew to over ten FEET and was so top heavy with under-developed roots that it fell over numerous times. We kept propping it back up, staking- anything to get it upright.

By spring of '10 I had it with the falling over smoke tree and removed it. We took the opportunity to dig around and see if there was a buried troll or something causing all the super-growth, but found nothing unusual.

We planted a Cercis canadensis 'Forest Pansy' as pictured below-

{{gwi:358262}}

The tree wasn't even as large as it appears because what looks like a thick trunk there is really an old rusted out farm fence stake.

You guessed it- it is growing way too fast IMO.

As the Forest Pansy was considerably more expensive (and more beautiful) than anything I have had over there previously, I want this tree to work.

It just seems so top heavy.

Same tree two years later-

{{gwi:358263}}

{{gwi:358265}}

I untied it from the stake a year ago (can't easily get the stake out) so it can move and develop strength, but I am scared that a branch is going to break or the whole thing topple over when a wrong wind goes by.

I have not pruned it because I am wary about regrowth coming back tenfold and further weighing it down.

That fence is six feet tall and the photos do not fully convey how heavy the canopy looks to me.

I'm a good pruner and know how to shape a tree and direct growth, but don't want to jump in if pruning it will encourage too much new growth like it does on many other trees.

I have never fed the first speck of fertilizer in this area.

I do water when it gets dry and try and take good care of my plants but don't do anything out of the ordinary.

This tree does seem to dry out very quickly which I would presume is because two year old roots can't keep up with the size of the canopy.

The Forest Pansy was from Rare Find- my Mom bought two from them the very same week and neither of hers are growing nearly as quickly, same town/ same general soil conditions.

So I have two questions-

1) Does this growth look too vigorous?

2) Should I reduce the weight by pruning?

Thx for any thoughts.

Comments (10)