SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
novicetxgardenr

Western Honey Mesquite tree growing too close to house

novicetxgardenr
16 years ago

I bought my first home (a custom-built, 2-bedroom lake cottage located in the Texas hill country) this past June. It's newly constructed; therefore, since closing, there are a number of native plants popping up. It's to be expected and I'm excited about most (such as the cacti growing wild in my backyard). However, I notice an odd looking plant growing in front of my house just above my newly formed garden. I didn't know what it was, just that it had unusual shaped leaves and thorns. It's been growing steadily since I moved in last July. It's now about 3-4 ft in height and 2-3 ft in width. Anyway, I was at a 'tree and plant' nursery near my house buying some succulents this past weekend when I saw what looked remarkably like what I had growing wild in my front yard, only it wasn't a shrub, it was a 10-15 ft Chilean Mesquite tree. I asked the owner what I might have and he stated I probably have a Texas Honey Mesquite growing there. At first, I was kind of excited. Wow, I had a mesquite tree growing in my yard and all. I've since done some research on the Texas/Western/Torrey Honey Mesquite, which is what it is, and found they become large trees--20-30 ft tall with up to a 30 ft spread. I also read they are very invasive, hard to impossible to kill, should not be transplanted if wild and should not be cut. Do I have this correct? 'Cause, now I'm kinda worried. I don't won't to harm the tree, but I fear it's too close to my house, only about 8-9 ft from the foundation and it's growing toward my house. Also, it's going to eventually completely cover my garden, which I want to get sun. I already have 3 oak trees in front (which already provide ample shade), not even 3 ft from it. I believe that's plenty of trees within a 20x20 sqft area. What do I do? I'm fearful it might harm my foundation and/or my house with it's impending growth. Since it's still a sapling, is there anything I can do to successfully move it to another location? I've recently spotted another mesquite sapling, about a foot tall, growing not 2 feet from the original--maybe it's part of it too? In the past few days, I've now noticed these mesquites all over my small, lake community. they range in size from small, shrub-like to large trees.

Comments (2)