SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
taylorkh

John Deere SST18 charging light issue

taylorkh
14 years ago

I have been experiencing an issue with the battery charge light on my 2001 vintage SST18. The light comes on intermittently when the machine is running. The battery appears to be fully charged and the machine starts with no indication of a low battery.

The service manual states that the first thing to check is the voltage at the battery. I have done this and it is about 13.8 V. This is in spec and is enough to charge the battery. I have run the machine with the volt meter attached and notice no difference when the light is on or off.

Recently the light stays on more than it is off. I intentionally partially discharged the battery after which I noticed that the charge light stayed off for a while.

So, I figured that the issue might be the OLD original battery not accepting the charge. I ran the machine and, while the charge light was on, jumpered it to the battery on my JD314. The light stayed on and the voltage only dropped about 0.1 V.

Any ideas?

TIA,

Ken

p.s. I wish this thing qualified as a Federal clunker. I would trade it in a minute :-)

Comments (5)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH