SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
susanwrites_gw

suggestions for the mulch top on large lasanga bed?

susanwrites
15 years ago

Okay - I think I have my plan in place but it is missing a bit. This will be for a 100% California Native garden that will be planted in the fall.

We removed the lawn (had to remove it as it was all Bermuda grass.) This left us with a patch about 45 x 30.

We will be making a path from the sidewalk to the front of the house so I will mark that (later to be filled in with path fines.) We are making a couple of mounds so I will mark those out for the largest piles.

I will start with a thin layer of decomposed granite (I have GOBS of it.)

Next will lay down wet cardboard/newspapers.

I will add some of the clay that was excavated from our new driveway mixed with more decomposed granite.

More newspapers.

Used coffee grinds. I have no grass clippings or leaves or other greens.

More clay/decomposed granite and leftover topsoil then more newspapers/coffee grinds until I reach the mound height I want.

Now I need to figure out what mulch to put on the top. I know it won't do much between now in the way of decomposing. I could put the shredded redwood gorilla hair and then when I get ready to plant I guess I just push it all away, right? It might be the easiest to move around in bulk.

I could also get cedar chips or mini fir bark.

Does it sound like I have a good plan? Will the lack of much greens be a problem? I guess I could buy a few bags of manure to add in - might that be a good idea?

Comments (12)