SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ranchreno_gw

Which type of Serviceberry?

17 years ago

I'm considering a serviceberry tree for the corner of my foundation bed. My landscaper doesn't know a lot about the various types so I'm trying to give him a bit of guidance.

We're trying to bring some height to the bed as this is a very boxy, tall, 2 story house, but I don't really want to go more than 15' in height at maturity. Yet, I want something with an upright shape.

The garden center recommended the Shadblow because it is spec'd to max out at 10', but it is also expected to go up to 15' wide. So wider than it is tall which I don't know if I like for this space.

The Autumn Brilliance gets a lot of rave reviews on the boards and my landscaper doesn't think it will get anywhere near the 20' max specified here in Chicago in a partial sun location.

Thoughts? Experiences with comparing the two? Here's my house if it helps. We're going to do a combination of boxwoods and other shrubs in the middle of the bed under the window and probably a summer wine ninebark next to the stairs. The bed will be reshaped to be much curvier, coming out a good deal in a circular pattern at the corner.

{{gwi:358022}}

Thanks!

Comments (12)