SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
zioviche

Dealing with Sooty Mold and aphids on Little Leaf Linden

viche
12 years ago

I've been dealing with sooty mold and aphids for a few years on my 22 year old LLL.

I don't want to use a systemic insecticide beacuse I figure it makes the 1000's of leaves that will fall little poison bombs. :)

I tried insecticidal oil one winter and the aphids were less that year. Also, watering the tree seemed to help it ward them off. Spraying the leaves with water seemed to help too.

I have noticed the aphids for the first time this season, today. I plan on a 2 part approach.

1) some sort of tree wrap + tanglefoot. I understand that ants herd aphids, but to be honest I have never seen any ants on the tree. Suggestions for products and application would be appreciated.

2) spray insecticidal soap with a hose end sprayer, trying to get the underside of the leaves. How the heck is that possible on a 35' tall tree? I expect I will be soaked in the stuff by the time I am done.

Can anyone recommend a brand of soap? I saw this at Home Depot:

Safer Brand 3-in-1 Garden Spray Concentrate

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202677579/h_d2/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

Contains potassium salts of fatty acids (12.38%) and sulfur (6.48%) as active ingredients

Supposedly the sulfur acts as a fungicide.

I've heard bad things about fungicides, and remember I will be swimmin in this stuff, but it would be nice to head off the ugly sooty mold if it works. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments (6)