SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
serenasyh

another shade-tolerant rose Penny Lane!

serenasyh
13 years ago

Since some people will ask for a shade-tolerant rose, here is a rose that I have found to be a wonderful and very forgiving rose for full shade- the climber Penny Lane. It's rated as needing full sun, but indeed it can grow vigorously even in the shade.

Bless its heart, it is completely besieged by rhododendron, mountain laurel, a bushy fat nepata, the house, a big huge pot of Frederic Mistral in front of it and a big fat looming tree to cast full shadow in its direction as well (7' away). It blooms with no problem (blooms are twice the size of last year's) and recovered from a particularly vicious rabbit attack as well (3 basal canes eaten and destroyed).

A great shade tolerant rose. I got mine from Roses Unlimited last year. A wonderful gardenia scent as well! Sometimes shade can adversely affect scent or the size of the bloom, but not this brave plant! Hurrrrrray! I think one of the reasons is that Penny Lane has very tiny buds that develop into surprisingly much larger blooms than one can ever expect. The fact that it has such tiny buds, makes it a very energetic, vigorous bloomer-perfect for the shade. This is the only reason I can think of as to why it does so well in the shade....

Comments (13)