SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
derffie_gw

Composting Plan for a Community Garden

Derffie
9 years ago

I'm seeking some feedback regarding my plan for a community garden where volunteers grow food organically to be distributed to shelters. We are in the Chicago area and so have pretty extreme winters. It's a fairly large operation with about 10 raised beds, I'm guessing each easily 15' X 4'. Currently everything is planted in organic compost donated by a local company.

They have a 3 bin compost system (made with cedar wood and chicken wire. Each bin is about 4X4X4) Essentially, it was used only as a pace to throw trimmings and plants at the end of the season and not really set up to compost.

My plan is to collect leaves in the Fall, rent a shredder and blow that into a 3 sided cinder block enclosure. Also. In the Fall I would start brown/green layered piles, mostly using the discarded pants but supplementing with coffee grounds and brewery waste to get it going. In the Spring I would resume layering and continue until the late Summer and then use the compost to enhance soil in a few of the beds which would then be planted in the following Spring. Our goals would be to keep the garden waste out of a landfill and to teach the community about composting.

Does this timing and methodology make sense? Appreciate any suggestions.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH