SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lola_lemon

Advice about spindly William Shakespeare 2000

lola-lemon
12 years ago

Anyone have experience with this rose??

I purchased several young own-root Austin roses about 6 weeks ago. �I picked only those with atleast 2 or 3 fairly sturdy canes (respective of their ages- so larger around than cocktail straws). �I brought 4 (all different varieties) �home and immediately �repotted them and they've filled out well and look great. �The Wm Shakespeare 2000 was going to be shipped to my MIL for her b-day in late summer, so I paid extra to have it potted by the vendor �into a gallon pot and held in the greenhouse for shipping.

Well, My MIL now has a raging case of thrips on all �her roses, so �the timing was bad to send her a new baby rose and�I went and picked up WmS2000 up over the weekend to plant here m. I �was shocked at it's spindly shape. �It's filled out and "grown ", but the leaves all seem small and the canes are no larger than they were 6 weeks ago (possibly smaller?) -it spills down out of the pot like a tomato vine.

I am sure they didnt swap it out on me (they are good folks) and the roots have filled in the larger pot very well also, so it has had room to grow, so what gives?�The vendor said it is like this because it is young and it will grow out of this phase.

Austin's website says to prune any spindly canes off the "bush shapes"- �of which WmS2000 is �one- �but ALL the branches are spindly.�

�The�Sharifa Asma i purchased at the same time had 2 �normal branches and one that started normal, but maybe 3 inches up it then divided into a multi stemmed knot of skinny offshoots �(almost like a mistletoe) �with all small leaves. �I whacked that branch off and all is well with her.

Is there a good chance William will improve, or is�it doomed to be prostrate? (i dont have the space! )

Can i prune it/feed it or etc to help it along?

Ideas anyone?

Thanks!

Comments (13)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm