SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
katrina1_gw

Feeding Dawn Redwood 'Gold Rush'

katrina1
16 years ago

My 5 feet tall, once inch caliper trunked 'Gold Rush' tree seems to be stuck at one phase in its releaf process.

During our Easter freeze I had covered the tree. The first night of freeze stressed the tree, but the second night of freeze seemed to throw it into a pattern of going dormant. Once the temps began to stay above freezing, I removed the wrapping, and not too many days later, the tree appeared to be going dormant. It took a couple weeks for it to drop its leaves. Then almost immediately two leaves emerged on its lowest branches. Last week the green nubs which had also formed along its trunk and branches began to plump up like they should leaf out. We have had lots of rain over the last two weeks, and still the buds seem to be in the same stage as last week.

Is there any thing I need to do to help the tree continue to progress with its releafing? Also, once the leaves do emerge should I feed the tree with a non burning acidic fertilizer, like holly tone or a less acidic fertilzer like Osmocote? If not is there a different way I should feet it?

Comments (3)