SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
melissa_thefarm

'Water is the best fertilizer'

melissa_thefarm
13 years ago

We all know it, but I think it bears repeating. This year we had an unusually rainy spring. The standard pattern is that the rains peter out in May and by mid-June we're in our summer drought. This year spring both started and ended late, with abundant rain continuing into the middle of June. The result shows in my best plant of 'Mme. Antoine Mari', the beauty that grows close to the our front door at the foot of the terrace. This rose always grows well. She gets squashed by winter snows, is pruned back in spring enough to permit the tractors to pass, and then grows back out for a lushly glorious spring flowering. Generally she achieves a maximum size of about 5'x7'. This year with our extra month of spring MAM has added magnificent new growth for a second flush beginning now, and is 6'x10'. It's not the hay mulch, folks.

After the first year I don't water my plants, of course. What falls from the heavens is what they get, and I and the roses are pretty contented. But the effects of generous amounts of rain are striking.

Melissa

Comments (2)