SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
anntn6b

When roses get addicted to water.........

anntn6b
10 years ago

My OGRs (the well established ones) came through two years of drought. The drought was severe enough to kill off Japanese Beetles who where entombed in my hellish acidic clays that turned to near pottery.

As a 'reward' of sorts, nature is now giving my roses lots of rain fall, much of it coming associated with lightening storms. Twelve inches in January, modest February, and now in the past eight days, another 5.7" of rain with more to come three days this week. (Annual total since 1 January, 36.3")

The tree growth on our fence rows has become so dense that adjacent fields are invisible from one to the next. Weeds are growing. Crops are late to mature and still later to replant.

What is the most interesting is the OGRs. My chinas are lush. My teas are stretching upwards, regaining height they lost in the dry years.

And the noisettes, almost all 'real' noisettes, not tea noisettes. I thought most had reached their maximum heights, given that they have inches of good soil on top of my red clay. I had assumed that the tight red clay was the limiting factor, it would keep them alive through drought, but it seemed to be limiting them at the same time. With the abundant water this winter and spring, most have put on two more feet of vertical growth.

My gallicas didn't bloom that well this year, we were a warm zone 7 in winter, but the centifolias were magnificent, although they bloomed late.

Everything I thought I knew about how much water a rose needs has all but flown out the window. I never considered watering roses through our winters, but this rainfall gave them growth that I never expected, and this growth will harden off before next winter.

I don't think I grow in a rainforest, but I did look up rainfall requirements to be a rainforest and by one definition, we're on track to make rainforest status if we look at one of our wet years and extrapolate this one, and ignore the dry ones.

The other thing, the organics in the soils go a lot faster and the soil sinks in the beds. The worms are working as hard as they can.

Comments (20)