SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wmshay6

Help with B&S IC 17.5 HP OHV engine

wmshay6
15 years ago

I just picked up a used (but apparently not abused) MTD lawn tractor with a B&S engine in it. The engine is an I/C engine with OHV 17.5 HP.

I cannot get the engine to start or fire. The engine cranks when connected to my jump starter. I am currently charging the dead battery in the thing. I have spark. I have (new) fuel. I replaced the plug with a brand new one and verified the spark.

Engine cranks just fine, but won't fire. In reading through some of the posts here, it seems my problems could be carb, valves, cam, or a number of things. I don't want to spend a ton of money on this, but am not opposed to buying some parts and doing some work. The mower was completely free so I really have nothing to lose tearing into it, but would like to get an idea of where to start.

Can someone give me some advice as to where to start and what to look for. Fuel is passing through the engine as when I crank and crank and crank, it putters sort of like an old 2-cylinder engine or like an old steam engine. And seems to backfire

I am wondering if that is caused by sticking valves, but not sure how to proceed. I am mechanically inclined, but never worked on much in the realm of small engines.

I have not changed the oil, but topped it off as it was a little low.

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!
More Discussions