SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hking_gw

high maintenance composter wanna be

hking
13 years ago

Ok, I don't want to be a high maintenance composter, but unfortunately I just am high maintenance and I want to compost. I am a mother of 3 small children and I have rheumatoid arthritis and an organic garden I love. I don't want these challenges to prevent me from composting, but need some advice on how to proceed.

Due to my rheumatoid arthritis I cannot turn a pile and my hubby has a VERY full plate that I wish not to add to.

I also have a new baby duckling and will soon be adding another duck. This means I will have duck manure and shaved pine bedding. The duck manure is a new addition I am unsure how to handle in composting.

Did I mention the 3 sm kids...I don't want my 6 year old and 3 year old twins venturing in the compost or messing with it. So a heap is out. I think I need some kind of frame work.

I have looked at a few tumblers/bins and see a couple I am interested in despite the cost. I know most of you don't seem to be fans, but with my circumstances it appeared to be my best option. The Earthmaker looks the best to me, but I am a rookie. I also like the Envirocycle, but it is small so i think I would need 2 to get be able to constantly feed one. The advantge with this one appears to me is that I can roll it over to the duck pen, fill it, roll it back. The roll it to the garden or flower beds to empty when the compost is ready.

Will tumbler/plastic bins get hot enough to compost manure in with kitchen waste, lawn clippings and such?

Any other option I haven't considered??

Comments (5)