SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolinamary_gw

Lion's Fairy Tale

carolinamary
12 years ago

Hello folks,

I was out earlier looking at the roses still in the pots from the nurseries this spring and to my surprise found a rose that we supposedly planted already. My husband picked up the wrong one to bring up front to the planting spot a week or so ago when we thought we were planting Rise 'N' Shine and I didn't double check by reading the tag before he cut it off.

Using the process of elimination, we must have planted Lion's Fairy Tale, as it is missing from the nursery plants' pot area now. Lion's Fairy Tale would also look good with the surrounding plants there where it is mistakenly planted, but it's in a bit more shade than I'd guess is a good idea. I was/am thinking that Rise 'N' Shine, a polyantha, would tolerate a bit more shade from a nearby tall camellia reasonably well, but I don't know about Lion's Fairy Tale, which I haven't read enough comments on to know.

Two questions:

1) Assuming we transplant the Lion's Fairy Tale to the spot originally intended for it, how long ought we wait on doing that--to give the rose sufficient time to recover from whatever amount of transplant shock it might be still getting over? The weather here is in the low 90's and upper 80's Fahrenheit now and likely to be hotter within a couple of weeks. Thus far we have been getting good rainfall so we haven't needed to water very much, and all the plants in that planting area seem to be doing fine with a lot of sunlight in most of the area there now.

2) Has anyone actually ever tried Lion's Fairy Tale in a spot that has a really noticeable amount of shade to contend with, especially during the months of August-October? Any chance that the plant could be left where we'd intended planting a polyantha? It would need a degree of shade tolerance similar to Gruss An Aachen to stand a chance in this spot, but not in the spot originally intended for it, where it would get noticeably more direct sunlight. But it would look good if it could be healthy there, and if there was a reasonable chance of success, I'd be willing to give it a try for 2-3 months to see. What do you think?

Thanks for any ideas,

Mary

Comments (3)