SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ntl1991

Ailanthus is Gone... New Tree Recommendations (Pics, too!)

ntl1991
13 years ago

Today was the big day; I had my Ailanthus "Junk Tree" removed. It was pushing over a wall (which I'm going to be removing to put up a stockade), and was in a terrible spot, right on the corner of my property... Apparently, It's been there for 20 years. I don't remember it ever being small 14 years ago when I purchased the house... The tree removal guy told me that if the tree was a mere 5 feet away from the wall, he would've tried to get me to keep it; he said it had the best form he's seen yet for an Ailanthus.

Now that I have no trees on my lot, I need some sort of shading... It's a blank canvas now. I've been working on the lawn, and now I need to decide what type of tree(s) I want, and where. I already removed a tree behind my garage which was wrecking the roof, and was in terrible shape. Also, I removed (as you can see by the stump) a tree right behind my house, which was just as tall as it. All I could see was leaves when looking out the 3rd floor kitchen window.

So here's a little tour:

20-year-old Ailanthus:

{{gwi:352181}}

Ailanthus Removed:

{{gwi:352182}}

Back Yard (taken from driveway:

{{gwi:352183}}

Back Yard:

{{gwi:352184}}

Back Yard Facing House (taken from back corner of lot):

{{gwi:352185}}

Behind Garage:

{{gwi:352186}}

I'd like to see if anyone has any creative ideas for some tree types and locations for my yard. It's way too blank, and I get no shade during the afternoon. It'd be great to eventually have a big and full tree worthy of my hammock! Are there types of trees that work better in smaller yards, such as mine (6,000 sq ft. lot)? Any ideas at all?

Thanks,

Nick

Comments (35)