SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swjonthebay

A soil test question or twenty...:)

swjonthebay
15 years ago

We are attempting to establish a new organic vegetable garden and have had a soil test done. I'm trying to make sense of this so we can go ahead and get the space ready for planting a fall garden. This is an area that was previously a garden probably 20 years ago. Heavy equipment was used to remove several trees and numerous shrubs/bushes. The results are as follows:

Recommendations:

Ground agricultural limestone=0.0 tons/acre

Fertilizer N-P2O5-K20=___-0-110 lbs/acre

Soil group--clays and soils high in organic matter (CEC>9.0 cmol kg)

pH-- 6.2

P=114 lb/acre (very high)

K=156 lb/acre (medium)

Mg=528 lb/acre (very high)

Ca=6536 lb/acre (extremely high)

Comment #1: Soil analyses indicate very high or excessive

P. Additional organic amendments will add more

P. Use materials high in N but low in P, such

as cottonseed meal (6-3-1), fish meal (10-6-1),

or blood meal (13-2-1). Legume cover crops can

also provide some N to subsequent crops.

Comment #2: Organic materials generally provide less K

compared to N and P. K can be supplied with

"green sand" (6% K20), or potassium magnesium

sulfate (18% K20, 11% Mg, 22% S). Apply enough

material to supply 1 to 3 lbs K20 per 1000 sq.

ft.

Comment #3: As a precautionary measure, consider applying

10 lbs sulfur per acre per year.

After the initial clearing was completed, there were numerous shells visible in the soil. We were told there used to be a shell driveway next to the garden, so I'm sure they came from there. My first question: Could the 'extremely high' calcium levels be from the shells decomposing? Or would it be more likely that the high reading of calcium could be falsely high due to scraping and turning the shells during the tree removal? Would true soil levels of calcium that high somehow interfere with the uptake of other nutrients?

The pH of 6.2 is a little bit of a surprise. Most of our soil around here is more acidic than that. I'm assuming the recommendation for considering yearly sulfur applications is to keep it where it is, correct?

Finally, I know I can find the potassium magnesium sulfate locally but haven't been successful so far in finding green sand. Wouldn't using the former be detrimental (despite their recommendation) by adding more magnesium along with the potassium? I have a seaweed fertilizer that lists 0-0-1. Would regular feedings of the vegetables with that be sufficient for the K that's lacking in the soil?

And finally, what about N? There was no recommendation for that. Is that standard? Should I not worry about that and just feed the plants with fish emulsion?

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio