SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
micronthecat

Home Depot climbing rose

micronthecat
16 years ago

And that's about all I know about it, LOL. I'm a rose newbie. About 3 years ago, maybe as many as 5 years ago, I bought two roses from Home Depot. They were supposedly "climbing" roses, and supposed to be a pinky peach color. I got them b/c I had one of those arch things and I thought they'd look nice.

I installed the arch thing across a walkway, dug a hole on each side and planted the roses. Until this year, I have never done any maintenance to them, or fed them except the occasional Miracle Gro; they've been fending for themselves.

This year I got bit by a gardening bug, and I built a square foot bed, plus did some container gardening too. I put a "stonehenge" around each rose and filled it with compost and potting mix so I could plant herbs around the roses. Since I've done that, the growth has been really good, and one of the roses has started blooming - a plant that has never had more than 4 or 5 blooms on it now has 37 buds, and about 4 of them are already open. Now here's the thing - the rose is supposed to be this peachy pink color, right? Well, the rose is now ROSE colored. Not red, but a rich lipstick pink. The scent is spicy, somewhat like cinnamon.

So my question is, why did feeding the plant change the color of the flowers? The other one has not started producing buds yet, but the greenery is impressive. I would also like to find out how to get rid of the aphids when they show up. Thanks~

L

Comments (7)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH