SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rifisnj

Funny business at Home Depot: "Kordes" roses

I've purchased some good performing Kordes roses at HD, here in NJ, over the last 18 months. But I've also seen the following for sale at the same store:

Early this summer - A group of fairly tall roses with healthy foliage and big, fragrant dark pink/purple blooms. A full color, rectangular "Vigoro" (HD) brand "Purple Rain" KORpurlig tag hanging from each. In 2+ gallon containers. An Ivy Acres sticker affixed to each. And a narrow rectangular Weeks tag wrapped around the base of each rose, partially under the soil line. "Pretty Lady Rose", they read.

Mid summer 2016 - Group of "Lavender Veranda" roses - spotless foliage, nice fragrance and lavender blooms. From Hopewell Nursery. HD brand Vigoro color tags again. Weeks tag around each, buried in soil, indicating "Heirloom". Next to them, another group of fragrant white roses, with dangling color tags again specifying a Kordes variety (I don't remember which). Each with a buried Weeks tag indicating "Home and Family". The regular representative from the grower's intermediary was on site at that moment. I showed him what I discovered. He adopted a concerned, diligent posture. Ten or so days later I was back; the remaining roses still bore the Kordes tags.

And this August - Over 30 roses in 5+ gallon faux whisky barrel resin containers. Immaculate foliage. Bright, cheerful showy red blooms. They looked quite familiar. No scent. "Heart Song" from Kordes, according to the hanging tags. Weeks tags under soil indicated Showbiz. Hopewell Nursery again the grower.

Comments (18)