SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hortster

How many of you cheat, like me?

hortster
13 years ago

My compost is made up of basically three things. I have a bunch of river birches (got 7 large ones - singles to clumps) that shed the heck out of little twigs. Each time there is a thunderstorm I look at the ground, look up and go, "Where the heck are ALL of these coming from? However, they seem to compost well... The only other things are leaves in both fall and spring (a lot of spring shedding oaks around here) and grass clippings collected when the rains have been so frequent that I have to "bag it." I have a lot of C but not enough N. Some of my local horticultural buddies have been giving me crap for using urea to drop the piles. If I don't use it I would have so large a composting situation and so many bins that I would have to build large wood screen fences to hide it visually! Right now my four piles cover a thirty by twelve foot area. Using urea allows me to use an eight foot diameter wire fence bin for two years.

The four piles are: the current hot pile, next spring's screening pile aging like good Scotch, the shrinking pile I am presently using to screen, and the beautiful screened pile. It is amazing how quickly a full bin drops halfway after a bit of urea.

Am I really a sinner? Ready to take the punches...

hortster

Comments (15)