SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
big_deck

Highway Privacy Issue

big_deck
15 years ago

We live in a place that had the most wonderful privacy from a national highway (2 lane) behind our home. The road is about 100 yards away, but at the top of a slope in our back 'yard'. When the tree's were in bloom, it looked a lot like a band-shelter - Like Red Rock or the Hollywood Bowl.

We were secure enough with the privacy year round that I began, and hope to finish soon, 1,940 sf deck behind our house (hence my user name).

Anyway, a week ago all of a sudden I see utility markings go up on the vacant property that is behind our line. We Freaked - but found out it was the water company putting in new lines for sewage from a development on the other side of the highway. That was a relief.

We came home from work earlier this week to find that they had felled at least 20 trees in excess of 100' from the area between us and the highway. I am heartbroken about the trees as much as our loss of shielding. Some of these trunks I am seeing are 10 or 12 feet in diameter. Certainly older than any of us.

The deck is primarily for our grandkids. We are now hearing from friends traveling the highway that they can see we are building something in the back yard that looks like a helicopter landing pad - what is it.

Finally getting to the reason for this post is:

What can I (she only supervises) plant that will grow tall, dense, fast and stay green in sometimes below 0 winter weather and not wonderful soil - very acidic and full of small coal pebbles) as a privacy 'wall'?

I think that they eventually need to grow to around 40 - 50 feet. The area that I think I need to fill in is about 35-40' wide.

Thanks for listening!

Comments (8)