SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jess2132000

Roofer crushed our Japenese maple tree

jess2132000
16 years ago

We have a Japenese maple in a flower bed that has many broken branches and very bad damage to it do to a roofer we have replacing our roof. He was throwing shingles off our roof and they landed on our Japenese maple tree and broken many big branchs off..He did throw a tarp over it before starting the job but the weight from the shingles broke the tree all apart. When we questioned him on it he told us he was aware of the damage and would buy us a nice new little tree or something to replace it with. I told him nicely that this was not a standard shrub that you pay $50 for at a nursey. Our landscaper quoted me $1500 3 years ago for this tree. I wasn't selling it but when he comes to trim our trees he told me what one like that would go for in his nursery.. I am very sicken to think we can not save it in any way but it has much damage to it. the roofer looked surprised when I told him what our landscaper told us 3 years ago. The roofer said well we can get a nice new little tree for you no problems.. I still don't think he believes me.. what should we do about this. this roofer was a old neighbor friend of ours and we want to remain friendly as he did not do this on purpose but still the tree is very bad in shape now. not sure if it can be saved at all as we have to get the tarp off of it once the roofing job is done (hoping tomorrow) We still owe him $2000 towards the new roof as we paid half up front and the other half when the job is done. How should we handle this in a nice way???

Comments (21)