SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
reach_for_the_sun

Please help me fix my bathtub of a raised bed

Reach_For_The_Sun
10 years ago

Sorry for the long story.

I planted 3 days ago. Since then it has probably rained 2-4 inches. I thought my tomatoes were probably dying from too much water and not being able to breath. I dug down 15" next to one of then and it fills with about 4 inches of water. The bottom of the plant itself is 8" below grade.

They are in a new raised bed in between my other two that I think now I have made into a bathtub. I was trying to give them the best depth of good soil rather than clay. I dug out and tilled down about a foot and filled it back in with a good mix that I have in my other beds. The natural grade slopes down from right to left and back to front slightly. The left side is 1.5" above the bed on left and about three lower than the one on the right. My bathtub "floor" is on average given the grades 5-10" below where the "floor" would be on the other beds and where it would have been if I did not mess up.

After the next rain there was 9 inches of water in the hole which is just and inch below the tomato bases. I decided to bite the bullet and pull all of them out and dig it out to the clay base. I sure hope they make it through.

Even though I have read that putting clay back in will not make it like the clay that I dug out that is the my best option. I just don't like the idea of drainage system when if I would have not dug so far and just set the bed on top after I took off the sod like I did with my other two then things would have been fine.

This is my plan, please tell me what you think. I am going to get some clay that is of similar compactabiliy as that which I dug out. Then put it in the hole and match it to the grade on the four corners so that it is essentially just like it would have been after I took off the sod. Compact that as I go to make it as firm as I can. Then as the water drains through the garden soil it will hit the clay and as I read move lateral, thus in the same path as the other beds and as it should have been before I messed it up. Raise the sides so that it is actually a raised bed.

Also as I see now with all this rain (another 1.5" yesterday) my garden soil seem too compact(granted it was essentially sitting in a pool of water). It has essentially no aggregate of any size in it. I was thinking when I put it back in to add something like agricultural sand and pea gravel. I know I have read sand is a bad idea but it does not appear to be as fine as mason sand.

Any thoughts are appreciated, thanks.

Comments (10)

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012