SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lama26

compost bin/keeping animals at bay

lama26
15 years ago

I want to start composting (as we have no yard waste it would be mostly kitchen scraps and paper) but want to create a bin/area that will not attract even more critters to our property. We currently host tons of rabbits, gophers, mice, crows, other miscellaneous birds, and get occasional coyotes, deer (not so much), and our area once every couple of years or so gets a lost young bear who has wandered off from the foothills 15 miles west of us. We don't live in the area where we need to cook with the windows closed or keep our garbage indoors b/c of bears, so really the concern is smaller animals.

I was thinking of a regular big garbage can drilled with holes and to bungee cord the lid. Do you think I should build a fence around it or is that overkill? Bunnies are obviously not going to topple the can, but will the ground rodents gnaw at it?

Like I said, we have no yard waste as we live in the desert southwest, and have a natural landscape, but I was looking for a way to dispose of kitchen scraps from fruit and veggies and "brown" stuff like paper. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments (6)