SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
marlaw_gw

Advice on Filling New Raised Beds

marlaw
13 years ago

Hi -

I am planning on building some new raised beds this fall (in the place where I currently have "mounded" beds) and want to run my idea by you. I've been doing a lot of reading and am a little confused about some (seemingly) conflicting information...... I figure this is just because I am new to all of this.

I have been mulching my current beds with a mix of chopped leaves, grass, and partially finished compost/leaf mold. When I put a thick layer on at the end of last year, I could see how it broke down over the winter and turned into a thin layer of compost. I want to apply this idea (and the idea of interbay/lasagna) to my new raised beds.

I plan to fill the new raised beds full of all the organic matter I have been dumping in one area of my yard for the past several years. I will have LOTS of maple leaves, grass, other plant material, and partially finished compost/leaf mold (it is full of huge worms). My thought is that over the winter this will all break down and I can plant in it in the spring, continuing to mulch as I always do - chopped leaves and grass.

However, I have seen some info on unfinished compost causing issues with seed germination. I do direct seed a variety of veggies and would like not to have this problem. From you experience, do you think this will be a problem? And, do you think my plan is a good one?

Thanks for any advice!

Marla

Comments (9)