SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
funnthesun

New Echinacea Raised Bed - A little help, please :)

I have been working on a new raised bed that will hold (primarily) a mass-planting of echinaceas. This drawing will help to visualize the area. disregard the lower, stepped down area off to the bottom right, that is for something else. The right side of this bed runs in front of the front left corner of my house. There will be dinnerplate dahlias at the very back (the 8-foot span) of the bed. The tallest echinaceas will be very close to their height (36-40") and then it will, of course, get shorter and shorter varieties of echs as they come to the front of the bed. My problem is that, in my brillance, I was originally planning to put rudbeckias at the back, not dahlias. At some point, that changed and I bought some dahlias to go there, reds, yellows and orange ones. Then, later, it having slipped my mind that I was doing it, I bought 6 goldsturm ruds to go in this bed. As we are prepping for this bed to be built this week, it has just dawned on me what I did. I was actually thinking the goldsturm would go at the back, but they aren't nearly as tall as they need to be to go at the back of this bed, but they are the height of about the middle of the echs. Half of the echs are shorter and half are taller. I don't think it it will look right to just throw a row or two of goldsturms in the middle of the echs. What do you think? Also, are these guys going to push out my echs? I was planning on using annuals ruds, not perennial ones, but I just completely lost my mind (I'm claiming temporary amnesia) on this purchase. Maybe I should just find a different place for the ruds. Any advice would be great on how to resolve this. I'm not sure if all this was clear or not, but that's my best stab at explaining the problem. Thanks for sticking with the crazy, if you got this far!

Comments (6)