SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
donnamarienj

Compost problem

donnamarienj
14 years ago

It is my first year with a compost bin, and I'm ready to call it quits.

My neighbors (almost the entire block) have threatened to call the town about the stench coming from my bin. Honestly (and I MEAN "honestly"), I do not see (smell) what they are griping about.` Be that as it may, I have to do something about it. And there IS absolutely too much "green" in my bin. A friend of mine who owns a restaurant was happily giving me all of her veggie trash for the last two months. It is summer, and I have no browns to put in. Things were going rather smoothly, and every time I turned the pile, I would see steam rising. Then, I guess, the pile reached a point of no return and everything turned slimy. I wasn't sure if it was supposed to do that before it turned into the final product, and I just let it go. I religiously turned and added more green. To me, (again, honestly), the smell is not that bad. However, I work during the day when the outside temp is at its highest and maybe THAT'S when the smell is bad.

Today (to avoid further wrath from my neighbors) I put in 4 entire newpapers (shredded). However, the stuff is still slimy and, for the first time, I smelled what everyone was complaining about. It is more of a moldly smell. It is not bad, but....

I need help to remedy the situation to avoid the town being notified.

There are also numerous fruit flies inside the bin.

Another question - I purchased both green and brown compost accellerator (sp?) from Garden's Alive. When do I put that in? Do I put both in at the same time? Should I wait until the compost is not so slimy? Will it ever be not as slimy????

Thank you EVERYONE for your anticipated help.

Donna

Comments (32)