SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
spdrcr08

black walnut tree killing spruce trees? help please.

spdrcr08
16 years ago

Hello,

Last spring I had about 15 6' blue spruce / norway spruce trees planted on one side of my property. One tree completely died after a few months and the others started looking frail and has sections of the tree turn brown and loose their needles. The place that had planted the trees for me replaced the one tree and said we should wait until the following spring to see how the other trees hold up. (they said the trees condition wmight just be transplant shock and that the condition coulld improve) Over the winter i did not see much change in the trees. But now, within the past month one tree completely lost the needles entirely. Almost everyone of the other trees are starting to look frail and are loosing their needles starting at the bottom and working their way up, including the tree that they had replaced once already.

When the nursary came out to look at our trees this week they pointed out that right next to the trees we have a large black walnut tree that is hanging over most of the trees and is droppiung a large amount of the walnuts around the spruces. They mentioned that this could be a problem and they would get back with me.

After researching on line is looks like black waalnut trees give off a toxin called juglone and will kill certain trees in its area, and spruces fit into the category of trees you shouldnt plant next to a spruce.

Does anyone have any experience or advice they can give me with this. If it is the black walnut tree that is preventing our spruces from thriving i do not see how it makes sence to replant new spruces, which i think is how the nursary would like to respove this issue.

please if anyone can help me with this.

thank you

gina

Comments (5)