SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
njdpo

I bought the abrams tank (Scotts/JD Vs. Case/Ingersoll

njdpo
14 years ago

Ive had a Scotts 2046 (JD Sabre) for a few years now, but I have some *hard* yard work ahead of me which I knew the Scotts wasn't going to appreciate (mostly the Tuff-Pork K51). A great running machine mind you - but simply not enough for what is coming.

I sold the Scotts (goodbye deere old friend).

Off to find a stout machine (which must still mow the lawn). With my wish list (and priorities) in hand I hunt for my new steed:

1. Must have a smallish deck 40-44 inches, I have a small shed door - and dont want the large deck. (hi priority)
  2. Must have a bagger - mulching will not cut it with the amount of fall leaves I deal with. (hi Pri)
  3. A blade - for pushing wood chips and clean fill. (med Pri - I can get the blade later)
  4. A log splitter would be nice? (low pri - burn a few cords a year)
  5. Cost is everything - no more that $1500

After looking around I decided I needed something tough, and adaptable ( meaning a PTO )... Hmmm - $1500 might be a bit light ...

What'd I get ?

I got me a Case/Ingersoll 444, 14 HP Kohler, Hydraulic PTO, Hydraulic Deck lift, and of course Hydraulic drive (not hydrostatic). Along with the hydraulic bagger system to boot!!!

as Homer would say "Mmm... donuts" i mean "Mmm... HYDRAULICs".

For several years I have not been big on Hydrostatic drives for tough garden type work - and mostly thinking gear drives were the way to go for the hard stuff. Now I realize this machine is not exactly hydrostatic - but it is clear that the case hydraulic system is "brute force" all the way.

Ive had it a for about a week so I dont have a bucket of background on it yet but here's my initial impressions.

- Year is roughly 1984-88 (haven't figured that out yet)- machine metal work is *heavy* gauge all he way, mostly clean with small surface rust hear and there around the deck, and next to zero plastic. (a really nice looking machine).

- Cast iron Kohler motor throbs like a Harley, as compared to the smoothness of the Scotts 20 HP Twin. Rubber engine mounts isolate vibration nicely - and once engine RPMs are higher the Kohler smooths out a lot.

- HyDrive (hydraulic drive) - a speed for every need - nice and flexible in that department (as compared to a gear tranny). Where it differs from the Hydrostatic rigs I've tried is - that the Hydrostatic tranny's seem polite (kinda soft)... The Case/Ingersoll system feels very direct, giving the impression of a very strong setup. I like the hydraulic growling that comes from the machine when its moving - its sounds a bit like a bulldozer.

- The Hydraulic drive motor (bolted up to the 2 spd. tranaxle) is substantial in size (this motor and lines are the rough equivalent to the belt - on a belt driven transaxle). I guesstimate that hydraulic motor alone to weigh in roughly to what the Scotts aluminum K51 would weigh. The website reports the transaxle weight at aprx 180 pounds! (well built to say the least).

- Seriously heavy frame as well - site reports it being aprx 125 lbs!

- Also has a Hi/Low gear select on the transaxle housing.

- Size of the machine is big, with the 32 inch tires the neighbors are doing double takes - as the Ingersoll is roughly the same orange color as the Scotts (but something is different).

- Comfortable, it is darn comfortable - and surprisingly the steering is very light, with or without the bagger. It doesn't have power steering, but I can say the steering is significantly lighter than the Scotts 2046 (pleasant surprise).

- The case 22x class machine is the same well built unit as the 44x (but lower profile) with smaller tires,etc. It being about the size of the heavier rigs you could buy from HD/Lowes/Sears.

- Bagger has a hydraulic motor on it (taps into the rear hydraulic PTO) and lends itself to being converted to blow into a framed up lawn cart for leaf collection. No belts, no BS, just attach the two lines and your ready to bag.

- I paid more than $1500 and less than what you you would pay for a box store LA135 (JD price w/o the bag).

- Complexity? im not really sure yet... The belt drive is gone and replaced with wet lines. Im not sure how this may complicate/simplify things.

- No cup holder.

- No aerodynamic egg shaped hood (darn I really liked the egg shape hoods - aerodynamics mean everything at 4 MPH.)

- No tough talk about how it can pull a trailer across the yard from some pimply faced kid in the HD/Lowes/Sears lawn and garden isle. Its clearly bigger and better built than any rig that would come from either of those stores. (granted - not a fair comparison, unless you base it on reliability vs cost). I am curious to know what the rough equivalent of this tractor would be in a JD. Im sure the pricing would be roughly the same (both new and used). Had I known I might have went looking at JD or other brands.

- I guesstimate that this machine (new with bagger and blade) would be scary pricey - but I am pleased to see their still in business.

- Oh one more thing... It kinda feels like I did my part - buying American... No I didn't buy new (sorry Ingersoll/Eastman)... But I did buy American, and I quietly made my statement; that Im not going to buy the box store crap dragged out onto the floor of a Walfart because it couldn't get there under its own power.

Thats my feedback on the machine so far.

If your looking for a heavy duty GT, you might want to have a closer look at the Case/Ingersoll stuff (new or used).

Pictures on : http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/gg160/njdpo/ing444/

Now I gotta find me a cheap blade for pushing wood chips around (to level the property).

Its getting late - let me go tuck in my new tractor...

Have a great day/eve.

Dave

Comments (15)

Sponsored
More Discussions